The Watch Site banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I forgot about this excellent post! Thank you for this! Wealth of information regarding this famous and probably one of the highly sought after Seiko models. Besides the Pogues and Pandas. I started with one and ended up with 4 !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
This is a great thread! I found one in need of repair (and I have a guy that does good work for a great price) so I took a chance. In general, it looks like it just needs a good cleaning and service, but the second hand is actually bent at the tip (at a ~20 degree angle?). I shudder to think how it got like that, but I'm confident I can get it sorted out.

In case I can't, how hard is it to find a replacement hand? Are the AM parts okay? I'm not stickler for all original parts, but I like to get the proper replacement if I can. I'm already planning for an AM crystal as the original is badly scratched.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Replacing a watch's crystal with an aftermarket one is generally considered acceptable and does not hurt the watch's value. Replacing the hands can be more problematic. It's not uncommon for a seconds hand to bend. The best remedy would be for your watchmaker to straighten it back out. A faded red or yellow seconds hand can be renewed with a colored Sharpie marker. If you do choose to use a new aftermarket seconds hand, no one will probably ever notice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for this great thread.
I got my 6138-0010 a while ago and it took me a while to restore it. The hardest part was getting a nice matching bracelet.
It is a JDM proof/proof from October 1970 and has the two piece sweep second hand.
Greetings

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Agree that this is a great thread. The 6138 has not been on my radar, but the power of your words and pictures have led me to think that I need to put it on my rapidly growing list of Seiko targets.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Replacing a watch's crystal with an aftermarket one is generally considered acceptable and does not hurt the watch's value. Replacing the hands can be more problematic. It's not uncommon for a seconds hand to bend. The best remedy would be for your watchmaker to straighten it back out. A faded red or yellow seconds hand can be renewed with a colored Sharpie marker. If you do choose to use a new aftermarket seconds hand, no one will probably ever notice.
Thanks. I bought an AM crystal but everything else was salvageable. He did a great job straightening the second hand and there's only the slightest bit of yellow missing. All in all, looks great and I'm in for a little less than the "recently serviced " one go for on Ebay. And I know this was serviced with a guarantee.

From February 1971

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just to follow up on the service. Either the guy replaced the main spring or it was not used much. Power reserve is well over 40 hours, which is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, friends! Thank you for very interesting information. But I have two questions. 1. Did the kanji/eng days were only with domestic dial or it could were in export dial? 2. The case was only satin (unpolished) or may be polished? I have 0012 with eng/arabic days and polished case is it correct?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts