The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I recently picked up a Bullhead that needs work. The watch stops when the chrono runs for 1 minute and 58 seconds. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the problem could be?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Check for loose screws on the movement. Especially on the chrono bridge.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
really loose screws can give those kind of problems..thank you for the great info

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The chrono bridge screws seem fine, though I did notice that the watch only runs with the chrono running, so I think there's a problem with the chrono center wheel.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
If the chrono always stops at the 58 minute mark here are some other areas to check:

1. Sub register hand is touching the dial causing extra drag on the minute recording wheel

2. Minute recording jumper tension is too high or alignment is off.

3. Position of the chronograph finger needs adjustment.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
If the chrono always stops at the 58 minute mark here are some other areas to check:

1. Sub register hand is touching the dial causing extra drag on the minute recording wheel

2. Minute recording jumper tension is too high or alignment is off.

3. Position of the chronograph finger needs adjustment.

I agree with all that. It also could be the chronograph center wheel has seized on its pinion or is too stiff and also the operating levers are not lifting the clutch enough, this would only be a problem if someone has been messing about with operating levers/arms eccentric adjusting screw.

BTW: 6139 and 6138's can invariably be sorted out with a little cleaning and adjusting, refo Tom's points 2 and 3 because of the angle the finger contacts the intermediate recording wheel is important, the 6139A tech sheet is good for help in this respect.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tightened the chrono bridge screws a bit, and the watch continued to run after 1:58. However, the vertical clutch system is completely gone, as the watch stops dead once the chrono is off. I thought of doing a movement transplant with another 6138 I have lying around, but I just returned the bullhead for a refund since it didn't seem worth the price I paid for it given the amount of work it needs. Thanks for the help, though!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
well sometimes a refund is best...sadly sellers who do not know what they have sell it to us for too much and are unwilling to do anything other than let us return it...i am sure you will find exactly what you want...just place a WTB here on the trading post...you might be surprised what you can find right here on the forum...God Bless John...sorry that bullhead did not work out as hoped

1 - 8 of 8 Posts