The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a special interest in those fabulous 6138 chronographs from the '70's, and I have a question for the experts on the legit variants of the 6138-8020. Obviously the Panda is the most well-known, followed by the black dialed version. I know that the gold-plated black dialed version is real as well.

But there are two others on JG's watch photo database that are intriguing - and all-silver dial, and an orange dialed version with black sub-dials. Are these just re-dials, or is there any catalog evidence that they were actual production models?

Thanks!

Paul

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hmm, good question.
I would think these are redials.
Never saw them in any of the old ads or catalogues.
But take it as it is, my personal opinion.

I just know, that from the "Japanese Panda", the 6138-8000 and 6138-8001 (see an example here: http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1244712017 ), there is also a black (and blue?) version (with white subdials) existing.

Just my 2 ct,

Axel

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought a "panda" similar to this one some time ago on the bay:

the print on the dial, especially the subdials was very inaccurate, which convinced me that the silver dials are aftermarket dials.

·
Registered
964 Posts
ghostzapper said:
Elveez has two really nice 6138-8000's, they look like new:...
Actually those are 8001s. The 8000s have straight lumed hands.
Oh just saw, that it's mentioned within the link.

Nevertheless just for clarification,

Axel

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sharp-eye, Axel - I didn't realize the 8000 and 8001 were different, thought the last digit was just a country code. I'd really like to get my hands on one of those some day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts