The Watch Site banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Special Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as I was thinking of purchasing new crystal for my 6138-8020. Is there an actual aftermarket mineral crystal available for this model? If so, how is the fit? Does it have a good seal for water resistance? I wouldn't be going near any water with the watch but for my general reassurance that it would have a some protection would be good. I am looking for an upgrade from the acrylic one.

Thanks, Steve

·
Special Member
755 Posts
The Panda crystal uses a tension ring for positioning. AFAIK there is not a mineral glass replacement; I’m not sure how such a replacement would work, as a mineral crystal would likely need a gasket and probably a different bezel design to hold it all in place. FWIW, the Sternkreuz replacement fits well and is available in the US from ofrei.com

·
Special Member
7,632 Posts
Of course this is the crystal used also in the 6117-640X World Times and the 6139 Pulsations so there is a strong demand for these OEMs.

·
Special Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup! I understand that the original is acrylic and that there is a tension ring as well. Was just wondering if there was a mineral crystal replacement out there with a gasket as an alternative. I have a couple of the Sternkreuz replacements on hand.

·
Registered
252 Posts
One of the thing that I don’t like about the 8020 is the acrylic glass feels cheap when the most of 613x lineup got the mineral crystal.

·
Special Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the thing that I don’t like about the 8020 is the acrylic glass feels cheap when the most of 613x lineup got the mineral crystal.
I definitely agree on that point. Wish it had a mineral crystal option...

·
Special Member
1,938 Posts
I like the genuine crystal. A NOS one looks really sharp. The SK one is ok, but it’s flat topped (the 350T02AN is slightly domed). The SK one may also benefit from sanding a slight bevel on the bottom outer edge to help it press into the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts