The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Need some help to identify a gear from the 6138 bullhead (see attached pics). Just bought this watch and after adjusting the date wheel, it got stuck. Took the calendar dials apart and saw a loose gear in the watch that caused the date wheel to jam. Looked around the calendar area and did not see any gear missing except for this loose gear (but no idea where it came from). Can someone tell me where this gear belongs to? I rather not take any more parts off the watch as I have not stripped the watch beyond the calendar mechanism. The attached photos are of the same gear but taken from 2 directions. Thank you.

BR

Attachments

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
It's looks like the hand winding pinion that the stem fits through. Yours looks very worn as the hole should be 4 sided. it must have dropped out when the stem was removed the last time.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Go to the manuals and tech section of this site and download the 6138a PDF file it has good breakdown diagrams of this movement. it looks like you may have to remove one more plate on the calender side to get to where this pinion goes.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Do yourself a favour and don't put that part back in - find a NOS or replacement part that isn't worn out. You'll be mighty pissed when it stops working and you have to take it all apart, yet again. Winding pinion part # 283617

·
Registered
912 Posts
Do yourself a favour and don't put that part back in - find a NOS or replacement part that isn't worn out. You'll be mighty pissed when it stops working and you have to take it all apart, yet again. Winding pinion part # 283617
Good advice as always !

The winding pinion on a 6138 is very easy to 'fall out of place' when you remove the stem. It is because in any station other than 1 (pushed in fully) the pinion and clutch wheel are allowed to separate, when you pull out the stem in any of these positions the pinion can go for a walk.

You don't get this in the 6139 movements as they are auto wind only.

So my advise is always remove the stem on a 6138 when the stem is pushed in, fully home, station 1.
When refitting the stem you must depress the setting lever button.

I am not sure but I feel my advice might contradict other advise that is around here somewhere....
Well that's what I do anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for sharing all the information and tips. I will purchase a NOS gear before attempting to fit it back.

BTW, in the event I decide not to fit back the gear, will there be any other issue besides the manual wind not functioning?

Thank you.

BR

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Good advice as always !

The winding pinion on a 6138 is very easy to 'fall out of place' when you remove the stem. It is because in any station other than 1 (pushed in fully) the pinion and clutch wheel are allowed to separate, when you pull out the stem in any of these positions the pinion can go for a walk.

You don't get this in the 6139 movements as they are auto wind only.

So my advise is always remove the stem on a 6138 when the stem is pushed in, fully home, station 1.
When refitting the stem you must depress the setting lever button.

I am not sure but I feel my advice might contradict other advise that is around here somewhere....
Well that's what I do anyway.

That's my MO too and have never had any problems.

·
Super Moderator
3,016 Posts
I will purchase a NOS gear before attempting to fit it back.
Based on your picture, I don't see a need to replace the winding pinion. Besides being a little dirty and having a few tooth edges starting to fold a little (not to the level that would cause concern), it looks fine to me. The hole in the middle is supposed to be round, not square, btw. Your's looks round to me, which is correct (the sliding pinion is the one that rides on the square of the stem, and has a square bore).

·
Registered
912 Posts
Based on your picture, I don't see a need to replace the winding pinion. Besides being a little dirty and having a few tooth edges starting to fold a little (not to the level that would cause concern), it looks fine to me. The hole in the middle is supposed to be round, not square, btw. Your's looks round to me, which is correct (the sliding pinion is the one that rides on the square of the stem, and has a square bore).
Wow you're right there, hadn't even thought about it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Noah,

Thanks for confirming the condition of the pinion gear even though I have just purchased one :) Think I will fit in the new one and keep the old one as spare.

BR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts