The Watch Site banner

Seiko 6138 0010 UFO

9K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Technoman 
#1 ·
Hi, I need advice on the dial of UFO model. Is the minute register suppose to have orange blocks around the minute track? While every piece has 3 orange blocks on 10, 20 and 30 numerals, a few has orange blocks on the minute track inself, I counted six blocks in addition to the 3 on the numerals. Is that original or modified? Must admit that it looks much more attractive though. Appreciate your comments, please. Thanks.

James

#2 ·
I have to say that this thread would be infinitely better with a a picture as I cant quite grasp the description you have provided.

What I can tell you is that the minute register (the sub-dial at the bottom) has orange blocks for 10, 20 and 30. The hour register (sub-dial at the top) has an Orange block every other hour.

This is an original 6138-0010 dial (albeit an early one with proof markings under the day/date which changed to resist markings and then to nothing as the years went on..)

#4 ·
Dial on that one looks after-market to me. I don't recall having seen that checkered pattern before on the minute track, the dial code text is too big and there are no glossy borders around the day/date windows.

#6 ·
It depends on the model. IIRC one of the variants of this watch comes with yellow markers in the subregisters, but the majority come in orange. There is also one variant in whichthe subregister background color is gold.

BTW this model line is called the Yachtman (that is seiko's official nickname), not the UFO - see the original add below:

#7 ·
Any idea what movement is in that $75.00 SEIKO Diver??

Isthmus said:
It depends on the model. IIRC one of the variants of this watch comes with yellow markers in the subregisters, but the majority come in orange. There is also one variant in whichthe subregister background color is gold.

BTW this model line is called the Yachtman (that is seiko's official nickname), not the UFO - see the original add below:

#9 ·
Amazing! Now compare that to the price of Bell-matics at the time... $30-65 more! What most amazes me is that the caramel-color dialed Belle is the top price and, today, it can hardly find a home. :eek:

[quote=Isthmus]
6105. BTW, assuming that watch dates to 1970, that $75 would be roughly around $425-$450 today. Catalog entries from that same year showing the MSRP at $125 would put the watch at around $700 today.
[/quote]

#10 ·
The 6138-001x Yachtsman has the orange blocks on the 12 hr register simply for a 30 minute guide, (when 30 minutes has elapsed the hand will be at the edge for reference, when the hour has elapsed the hand is on the line & dot)
The minute sub dial would be too confusing if it had them so it has the small boxes for elapsed time after 30 minutes.
Some of the later 6138-001x models had yellow boxes.

#13 ·
jameskks said:
Sincerely appreciate the comments and views. Just that it seems like it is not a very conclusive issue???
I thought the replies were fairly conclusive. Are you looking for a full breakdown of all the Yatchman variants (from 6138-0009 to 6138-0015)? If so I don't think one has ever been written, though there is a really old post in the archive somewhere that illustrates the design features of some of the less common variants.

#14 ·
Technoman said:
I have to say that this thread would be infinitely better with a a picture as I cant quite grasp the description you have provided.

What I can tell you is that the minute register (the sub-dial at the bottom) has orange blocks for 10, 20 and 30. The hour register (sub-dial at the top) has an Orange block every other hour.

This is an original 6138-0010 dial (albeit an early one with proof markings under the day/date which changed to resist markings and then to nothing as the years went on..)

wrong hour and minute hands man ???

#15 ·
Really? They are identical to ones I have seen in ad scans for this watch? Look at the ad scan in this thread posted by Isthmus, it shows these hands as well (shorter minute hand with more blunted ends..). They are also identical to a set of NOS ones I have in my possession. I believe there are at least three different sets of hands that are original to this watch. This set with the shorter minute hand and blunter ends, there is a longer minute hand version (more pointed ends too) and there are also the ones more common on Speedtimer variants as in the picture posted by GarageBoy.

Irrespective, the intention of the thread was to illustrate original dials, which this watch has..

speedtimer said:
wrong hour and minute hands man ???

#16 ·
Technoman said:
Really? They are identical to ones I have seen in ad scans for this watch? Look at the ad scan in this thread posted by Isthmus, it shows these hands as well (shorter minute hand with more blunted ends..). They are also identical to a set of NOS ones I have in my possession. I believe there are at least three different sets of hands that are original to this watch. This set with the shorter minute hand and blunter ends, there is a longer minute hand version (more pointed ends too) and there are also the ones more common on Speedtimer variants as in the picture posted by GarageBoy.

Irrespective, the intention of the thread was to illustrate original dials, which this watch has..
Oh I'm sorry to take notice at the wrong hand set,but it really is wrong sad to say,that hand set belongs to some Speedtimer Models/Standard models of 6139's,it is shorter and wider than the original set for 6138's,SEIKO never use this hand set for"double chronograph"(6138's).I have seen "MANY" SEIKO CHRONOS IN FLESH :) notice the "not so pointed"end tip which makes it different from the Original 6138 Hand Set.

#17 ·
Thanks Isthmus. I understand that there are a few variants but just can't find any conculsive indication that the one with the 6 additional orange blocks on the minute register track is original. Thought that Technoman has a point about the dial code text being too large. I attach the photo again. It is indeed much more attractive and I am looking for one but yet it bothers me whether it is worth while buying since I am a little doubtful about its authenticity.

James

Attachments

#18 ·
Another detail to consider when examining your dial: on the Yachtmans I have, and in the ones posted here, there is a border around the day-date window. Unlike a lot of the 6139 models, this border is not a separate metal piece but rather a painted border. It is pretty subtle as the border is black like dial, the difference being the border paint is glossy/shiny while the dial paint is matte. I don't see this border in your picture.

#19 ·
Can you explain then why these same hands are installed on the Yachtman in this original Seiko ad scan then please?

Anybody else want to weigh in on the originality of these shorter, blunt ended hands, I just don't want someone researching this watch online to hit this thread and get the wrong information.

[quote=speedtimer]
Oh I'm sorry to take notice at the wrong hand set,but it really is wrong sad to say,that hand set belongs to some Speedtimer Models/Standard models of 6139's,it is shorter and wider than the original set for 6138's,SEIKO never use this hand set for"double chronograph"(6138's).I have seen "MANY" SEIKO CHRONOS IN FLESH :) notice the "not so pointed"end tip which makes it different from the Original 6138 Hand Set.
[/quote]

#20 ·
Actually IIRC (and I'm really stretching my memory here) this model cam with both the standard hands and the stubbier pencil hands pictured above. IIRC the pencil hands where used on a very specific variant. I just can't remember the details. Again there is a post in the mirror somewhere that goes into great detail on this point.

#21 ·
So while the watch I posted earlier wasn't mine, I do also own a very early 6138-0010 with a proof dial which is below, it also has the stubbier hands, this watch is 100% original also.

So far, the only versions of this watch I have seen these hands on are all very early 0010 models from early 1970, maybe that could be the specific variant.

[quote=Isthmus]
Actually IIRC (and I'm really stretching my memory here) this model cam with both the standard hands and the stubbier pencil hands pictured above. IIRC the pencil hands where used on a very specific variant. I just can't remember the details. Again there is a post in the mirror somewhere that goes into great detail on this point.
[/quote]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.