The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , I just picked up a Seiko 6119C and searched for tech manuals so I can service it . The search explained that the base caliber for this model is a 6106A and I have that service info already . So far , so good . My question involves the rotating Inner bezel that turns with a gear on the stem . Mine is stuck, it won't turn with the stem or manually.
The 6119C is a Seiko 5 Sports water 70 proof , 6119-6023 , serial # 022685 .
In looking at the ring in the case it seems that I have to remove it through the front of the case after removing the crystal .
Does anyone have any experience with this situation or can tell me where I can get some tech info ? Do I lube it on reassembly ? Also does the 6139 Pogue have the same mechanism for this rotating ring ?
Thanks for any help and info.....Aloha , Louis

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just serviced the same watch recently. Infact it was my first complete service....so I'm no expert.

Yes you need to pop off the bezel/crystal retaining ring and remove the crystal, it's gasket and the ring the gasket sits on to gain access to the rotating inner bezel. There will be a tension spring that sits between the gasket ring and the rotating bezel.

I am not sure if it should be lubricated. I opted not to for fear of getting oil on the rotating ring.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply biggbubba....The dial and movement look in good condition so maybe it hasn't been serviced, at least for a while . Did you use tech service info or just go in cold turkey ? I have serviced other calibers including the 6106 which I just completed , but I do like to have the service info if possible .

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okie-Dokie...I'll remove the geared dial ring , clean it , and see if it frees up and turns .
No guts , no glory ....Thanks for the info biggbubba

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howzit BB , I popped off the bezel and crystal and found the usual vintage dirt and grime , but really not to bad except that only the very thin tension ring has some fine rust . I will attempt to clean it but it is a thin fragile piece . Did you source any parts for the service on your watch ?
Thanks , Louis

·
Registered
309 Posts
You could try a fine glass scratch brush if you have one to remove the corrosion....pretty effective for something like a flat tension spring.

For parts try Stefan aka Seikochrono. He has all kinds of stuff.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mahalo BB , I have an inquiry in to Stefan about this part and a replacement crystal. I have just ordered an assortment of diamond paste for the crystal refinishing if I can't get replacements . I do have a fiberglass scratch brush and it may be what the Doctor ordered to take care of this thin delicate part....also I have used the thin plastic keyring cards you use at the market to burnish SS parts . I may try this after the scratch brush .

·
Registered
309 Posts
The crystal for this watch is a 320W10NG. NOS is hard to find and expensive. There are a number of repros out there but IMHO Jonathan Koch's are the best. Spencer Klein sells them....on ebay and through WUS(where he offers a discount). Hope this helps :rolleyes:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mission accomplished on the Rotating Ring.....

It's turning as smooth as a baby's bottom . So the crystal is next when I can find it . Stefen didn't have it so I'll take your suggestion and try to source it through Spencer Klein....Thanks Biggbubba for the crystal part # and your help.

Mahalo , Louis ....... PS , the watch looks a lot better than my lousy pics :D

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

·
Registered
309 Posts
No problem Louis, glad to help.

Your watch looks good. Clean dial and hand set. I think it will be very sharp with a new crystal....you won't be disappointed with a JK crystal.

Did you end up lubricating the inner rotating bezel?

BTW my watch is the same color combo (not as nice as yours tho....pretty beat up when received, but served it's purpose as guinea pig for my first service)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Howzit biggbubba , No I did not lubricate the rotating bezel ...you were right on that point as the ring may end up slipping or worse yet too much lube in a watch will cause problems later. I followed your suggestion and used a scratch brush on the fragile retaining ring followed by a light scrub with a bit of Magic Eraser...it worked out good....by the way , I have carefully used small bits of the eraser to clean up dials with good results...JUST GO SLOW AND CHECK THR RESULTS AS YOU GO .
The case , movement , dial ,and hands are all in very good condition . I picked it up at the swap meet from a seller that knows what i'm looking for and saved it for me . I also got a Citizen CQ that only needs a crystal...every thing is in great condition including the original CQ bracelet . I paid $45 for both .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts