The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the lowest profile but arguably most desireable of Seiko's 1960's offerings for me was the 6117-8000 Navigator Timer, one of a number of the second generation of Seiko's models to feature a 24 hour hand. I've had two of these sitting in my to-do pile for more than 2 years and last weekend I finally completed one of them. The starting point was the watch as received:

from where we take the usual route, this time pretty straightforward on the whole but whith just one minor hiccup:

to the finished article:

As usual, if you'd like to read more about the process, then please take a look here.

Martin

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Nice classy looking watch there Martin. Thought about buying one myself when I saw it on a online auction site that shall not be named. As per norm you job looks outstanding!

I had a 6139-6000 that started keeping bad time. I took it apart last week and found the pivot was missing from the escape wheel! It was working just started loosing and gaining randomly. You'd have thought it would stop but there was enough of a pip left of the broken pivot to keep it running in a fashion. Luckily I had a spare scrap movement where the escape wheel was ok. Now keeps spot on time :)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Very nice piece. I keep waiting for the right one to show up to go along with my pair of 6117-601X's. I love these movements. Both of mine came in rough cases with surprisingly clean movements, and they keep excellent time.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
That's a Beauty Martin! Great work on the restoration as always!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I also love that particular model. I've got a 6106-8100 that I believe uses the same case and it's among the most comfortable and appealing watches I own.

I've also got a 6217-7000 world timer that's still in poor shape. I know it'll be a long term project but this gives me some incentive! Nice work as always.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
One of my favorites. Perfect size and comfort on the wrist. In the "never to be sold" part of the collection. Only thing it needs is a conversion to hacking which I will do eventually.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent restoration work on a beautiful piece Martin!

Though I must admit that a good part of that credit goes to the bezel ;-)

Best,
Hermann
Thanks Hermann. You are quite right about the effect a new bezel has. When I originally bought this one, I rather liked the faded bezel look but in the end decided to go with the new bezel for this one and then to use the faded bezel for the second watch, which I hope to get to in the coming months. It will be interesting to see which one I connect with better as I have a bit of a soft spot for the more weathered look!

Martin

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of my favorites. Perfect size and comfort on the wrist. In the "never to be sold" part of the collection. Only thing it needs is a conversion to hacking which I will do eventually.
Hi Saul,
My watch is fitted with the 6117A movement which can't be converted to hacking because the main plate offers no such option:

I have no idea whether the hacking 6117B was ever fitted to this model but in order to do a conversion to a 6117A equipped watch, you'd need to swap out the main plate for one from a 6117B.

All the best
Martin

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Hi Saul,
My watch is fitted with the 6117A movement which can't be converted to hacking because the main plate offers no such option:

I have no idea whether the hacking 6117B was ever fitted to this model but in order to do a conversion to a 6117A equipped watch, you'd need to swap out the main plate for one from a 6117B.

All the best
Martin
That would be the plan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts