The Watch Site banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Banned
1,394 Posts
Sun. What's that?!:grin:

The Seiko Strap Rejuvenation method was first brought to our attention by Guy in this thread:

https://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/318279-maintaining-restoring-your-gl831.html

I experienced excellent results using Guy's method on a bunch of older, well worn GL831s and they turned out much better than I thought ever possible. Guy's method is good common sense as Silicon Grease is formulated to be used for rubber O-rings and is used by almost all watchmakers to lube caseback and bezel gaskets. As the V1s were graying with a gooey surface and looked identical to the older GL831s I thought I would try Guy's method once again.

I have 4 different types of Silicon Grease and decided on a lighter, thinner mixture. Application was same as before; It's very simple and easy. Start with a good scrubbing in soap and warm water, dry, silicone grease applied liberally, let bake in the sun to soak in, wipe down very well, more drying in the sun, final wipe down. Finished.

All the straps are back to looking just like new with a dark black shiny surface. Not tacky or sticky at all. Very smooth to the touch. They also feel more flexible than before.

·
Special Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Photo of the 2 - 6105-8110 Proof/Proof

P/P 1 (top left) is in wonderful all original condition with beautiful dial and hands, Mint Condition bezel, and authentic Proof Case with the original factory brushed finish. I will be installing a new SK Type II crystal to replace the lower height Type III, service the movement, original Chocolate Bar strap... AND DONE!

I have a dilemma on P/P 2 (bottom right). Once again a beautiful Dial, Excellent Authentic Proof Case, but showing considerable wear to the Hand Set and Bezel Insert. I like to keep my watches as original as possible but I also like them to look as good as possible. At the same time I do not like to use Aftermarket Parts (only when absolutely necessary). The Hand Set on P/P 2 bothers me!

Photo of P/P 2 (left) and Resist (right) - Please don't be fooled by the photos. The Hand Set on P/P 2 is really crappy looking.

I understand that swapping parts is a very touchy subject but I would like other members' thoughts about P/P 2 with considerable wear to the hands. After closely looking at all the 6105s I found that the Resist with slight water damage to the chapter ring and spots on the dial dial would make a good Hand Set swap with P/P 2. Hand set on the Resist is all original, longer sweep seconds correct for the P/P, beautiful condition with no corrosion or lume degradation, and lume color matches nicely with the P/P 2 Dial. I would also consider swapping the Bezel and Insert from the Resist into the P/P 2 as it is in much better condition and Color of the Pip Dot is an excellent match.

I would then replace the Hand Set on the Resist with an original replacement set and proceed with the restoration of that watch. The original P/P 2 Hand Set would go into the "Save for Later" Bin (known previously as the Rubbish Bin).

So would you do the swap or leave P/P 2 all original? I would greatly appreciate your input before making the decision and I would appreciate opinions from as many members as possible. 6105 owners, non-6105 owners, and even those members who just do not like this watch (I completely understand that there are many people who feel this watch is way overrated). Looking forward to your replies. Thanks!

Kyle

·
Banned
10 Posts
Nice pieces. Do those have polished indices/frames? Or are they matte?

As long as everything is performed in a period-correct manner, I see no problem with swapping hands in your case.

Photo of the 2 - 6105-8110 Proof/Proof

P/P 1 (top left) is in wonderful all original condition with beautiful dial and hands, Mint Condition bezel, and authentic Proof Case with the original factory brushed finish. I will be installing a new SK Type II crystal to replace the lower height Type III, service the movement, original Chocolate Bar strap... AND DONE!

I have a dilemma on P/P 2 (bottom right). Once again a beautiful Dial, Excellent Authentic Proof Case, but showing considerable wear to the Hand Set and Bezel Insert. I like to keep my watches as original as possible but I also like them to look as good as possible. At the same time I do not like to use Aftermarket Parts (only when absolutely necessary). The Hand Set on P/P 2 bothers me!

Photo of P/P 2 (left) and Resist (right) - Please don't be fooled by the photos. The Hand Set on P/P 2 is really crappy looking.

I understand that swapping parts is a very touchy subject but I would like other members' thoughts about P/P 2 with considerable wear to the hands. After closely looking at all the 6105s I found that the Resist with slight water damage to the chapter ring and spots on the dial dial would make a good Hand Set swap with P/P 2. Hand set on the Resist is all original, longer sweep seconds correct for the P/P, beautiful condition with no corrosion or lume degradation, and lume color matches nicely with the P/P 2 Dial. I would also consider swapping the Bezel and Insert from the Resist into the P/P 2 as it is in much better condition and Color of the Pip Dot is an excellent match.

I would then replace the Hand Set on the Resist with an original replacement set and proceed with the restoration of that watch. The original P/P 2 Hand Set would go into the "Save for Later" Bin (know previously as the Rubbish Bin).

So would you do the swap or leave P/P 2 all original? I would greatly appreciate your input before making the decision and I would appreciate opinions from as many members as possible. 6105 owners, non-6105 owners, and even those members who just do not like this watch (I completely understand that there are many people who feel this watch is way overrated). Looking forward to your replies. Thanks!

Kyle

·
Registered
548 Posts

Kyle
I would take this route as it's reversible if you need to, and you gain so much without losing much!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow! Congrats!
And what about your other project? I refer to the SBDX001 Case, SBDX012 Golden Bezel and Chapter Ring, 6159 Dial and Hands, with a modern and accurate 8L35 movement??

·
Special Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I just finished P/P 1 with a new Spencer Klein Type II crystal installed. IMO Spencer's Type II look fantastic on the 6105. Just the Right Height that sits above the Bezel, Nice Angle to the Beveled Edge, Perfect Fit, and Just look Amazing!

I'm always very careful when popping out a 6105 crystal as I do not want to damage the crystal gasket. With the Seiko 6105 I have found that the crystal gaskets continue to be in remarkably good condition. Still very soft and pliable. I always reuse the original crystal gaskets but the new crystals sometimes need a little more pressing to get seated correctly. The crystal install went smoothly with no issues.

So I'm in the final stage and just need to select a strap. As this P/P is a good one it gets an original Seiko Strap. The final step is to decide which strap to use! Completed photos on the way!

Original Seiko Straps: ZLM01 Waffle, Chocolate Bar, XGL731 Tire Tread

·
Registered
548 Posts
I just finished P/P 1 with a new Spencer Klein Type II crystal installed. IMO Spencer's Type II look fantastic on the 6105. Just the Right Height that sits above the Bezel, Nice Angle to the Beveled Edge, Perfect Fit, and Just look Amazing!

I'm always very careful when popping out a 6105 crystal as I do not want to damage the crystal gasket. With the Seiko 6105 I have found that the crystal gaskets continue to be in remarkably good condition. Still very soft and pliable. I always reuse the original crystal gaskets but the new crystals sometimes need a little more pressing to get seated correctly. The crystal install went smoothly with no issues.

So I'm in the final stage and just need to select a strap. As this P/P is a good one it gets an original Seiko Strap. The final step is to decide which strap to use! Completed photos on the way!

Original Seiko Straps: ZLM01 Waffle, Chocolate Bar, XGL731 Tire Tread

Wow...fantastic jaw-dropping straps you've lined up there!...I bow to your hunting talent Kyle!

·
Registered
548 Posts
My Oct '72 6105 8110 R/R (bought new in '73) had the ZLM01 waffle when I got it. As yours is a P/P (early release?), maybe it had either of the other two fitted on it out of the factory. Would be really nice if you could fit the correct strap on it!

·
Special Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
Thanks for all the kind replies. I needed some motivation to keep going on this project.

Finished Numbers 3 & 4

Both 6105-8119 Resist/Resist. The one on the Left is dated May 1971 and has the Earlier Longer Sweep Seconds. The one on the Right is dated April 1973 and has the Later Shorter Sweep Seconds. Both All Original. Watches had heavily scratched crystals and it was hard to see through the fog to see what condition the Dials and Hands were in. Both of these were gamble buys - sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. After replacing the crystals with SK Type II I was pleasantly surprised that Both Dials are in good shape. Normal wear to the hands. Original Bezel and Inserts.

Both 6105-8119s have the earlier 6105 B movements with chamfered edges. The chamfered edges are something to see with polished edges that sparkle. Always a nice bonus to see these movements. Movements were disassembled, cleaned, serviced, and regulated. Both watches have the earlier Horseshoe Casebacks.

I'm very happy with the way these turned out especially since my expectations were very low.

·
Special Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Seiko 6105 #5 - All Original. Dial excellent with original lume (one of the brighter snow white lumes I have seen with no discoloring). Original Hand Set with peppering to the original lume. SK Type II crystal installed and Uncle Seiko Waffle Strap

Sweep Seconds was missing the orange/salmon colored lume dot so I hope to get that sorted today.

·
Special Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
The relume of the sweep seconds dot went OK. Both color and texture are OK but the condition of the hands is still bothering me. Just too much lume rot on this hand set. I might need to replace.

Seikosis makes a replacement hand set with a White Lume rather than the normal Light Green Lume that you see with replacement hands. The White Lume might make a nice match the white lume on this 6105.

Seikosis White Lume 6105 Hand Set

·
Special Member
4,612 Posts
Hi Kyle,
‘peppering’ by far the kindest euphemism for lume rot.
Your 6105/strap collection is extraordinary.
I would try a very sharp edge slightly tilted and pulled backwards on the blackened surface of original hand.
The seikosis hands just look to light in color, I would have Guy relume them to match dial.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts