The Watch Site banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is my new favorite thread. Those are beautiful pieces you've found. I have a soft spot for the 6105, both variants, but especially the 8110/8819 (my dad had one that he wore every day for 35+ years, and I found it and had it fixed up after he passed).

Do you fix these up and sell them? Or do you restore and collect only?

·
Special Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I have a soft spot for the 6105, both variants, but especially the 8110/8819 (my dad had one that he wore every day for 35+ years, and I found it and had it fixed up after he passed).

Thanks for all the kind replies. The First 6105 was purchased on November 8, 2017 and the Last One was bought on June 14, 2018. So 8 - 6105s in a little more than 7 months.

There are plenty of good 6105 examples out there and my sincere apologies if I am preventing others from getting what they want. I get a lot of enjoyment in buying and finally seeing them finished and looking as good as possible. It pains me to see a beautiful 6105 hidden behind a heavily scratched crystal while being worn on an ugly strap. Some watches deserve better!

With your Father's watch that he wore every day for 35+ years I applaud you for preserving his legacy by both honoring his memory and properly caring for his watch. Some watches deserve the BEST!

·
Registered
551 Posts
To me the Thrill is The Hunt. I always have my computer turned on while working. This one popped up about 1 hour ago and after a few quick emails and offers I bought it for $225. I like the watch but really enjoy the stone in the background. I always appreciate creative, visual ebay sellers. It was a nice break... OK back to the 6105s.

www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Seiko-Sportmatic-Silverwave-17j-Automatic-Wrist-Watch-Runs-Needs-Repairs/253960925169

No More Distractions!
Yes, I know that feeling, and that's quite addictive...pretty much the same feeling I had when I was into spearfishing of pelagic fish eons ago!

·
Registered
551 Posts
To me the Thrill is The Hunt. I always have my computer turned on while working. This one popped up about 1 hour ago and after a few quick emails and offers I bought it for $225. I like the watch but really enjoy the stone in the background. I always appreciate creative, visual ebay sellers. It was a nice break... OK back to the 6105s.

www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Seiko-Sportmatic-Silverwave-17j-Automatic-Wrist-Watch-Runs-Needs-Repairs/253960925169

No More Distractions!
Btw, very nice 'trophy' catch that one...congrats!

·
Special Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I thought I would kill two birds with one stone ;)

I took out my strap stash to check 19mm for the 6105s but while there I found a 18mm curved end tropic. Should look good on the Silverwave.

·
Special Member
4,674 Posts
Awesome group of 6105 Kyle, they all look very good, congratulations!

But I must admit, personally, I would have a hard time having more than a very good example.

·
Special Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Why is it that all projects inevitably turn out to be more difficult and time consuming than originally planned?

Selecting Straps to be used for the 6105s was supposed to be easy. I use certain straps for certain watches. Near NOS and Special watches get original ZLM01 Waffles or XGL731s (if I can find them) and Excellent to Mint Condition get early Will Jean V1 waffle straps with markings. I have a good supply of never used V1s that I bought a long time ago (at least 7 years ago) and I have been installing them sparingly over the years.

After taking out a batch of V1s I noticed something is wrong. They have turned from shiny black to grey and gooey looking. I could hardly move the keepers as they seemed glued to the straps. Only with force could I dislodge them. Something has happened to the straps and I don't exactly know what to do about it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hope it's only a superficial issue...are they still pliant as new?

Why is it that all projects inevitably turn out to be more difficult and time consuming than originally planned?

Selecting Straps to be used for the 6105s was supposed to be easy. I use certain straps for certain watches. Near NOS and Special watches get original ZLM01 Waffles or XGL731s (if I can find them) and Excellent to Mint Condition get early Will Jean V1 waffle straps with markings. I have a good supply of never used V1s that I bought a long time ago (at least 7 years ago) and I have been installing them sparingly over the years.

After taking out a batch of V1s I noticed something is wrong. They have turned from shiny black to grey and gooey looking. I could hardly move the keepers as they seemed glued to the straps. Only with force could I dislodge them. Something has happened to the straps and I don't exactly know what to do about it.

·
Special Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Will Jeans V1 use a wonderful rubber compound although I don't know what type of rubber. Straps are still very soft and pliable and not dried out at all. I've gone through the 1st step of simply washing them with warm water and detergent. Still greying and gooey looking. They remind me of how the GL831 straps turn over time and perhaps the next step is to try a silicone treatment although I am hesitant to do that as I do not know how they will react.

Just goes to highlight how the original Seiko Diver Straps (ZLM01 Waffle, XGL731, and Chocolate Bar) have held up so well over time. The V1s are not very Old.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Good they've retained their pliability, but the challenge is how to prevent further deterioration. Will Jeans would know the composition of the rubber used, and could give you some tips on the most effective way to care for these straps!

41 - 60 of 107 Posts