The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Special Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got back from the US where I picked up last years buys.

Lot of goodies and as always a nice pile of new 6105s. 2 new Proof/Proofs and 1 looks to be in Very Nice Condition with its original Chocolate Bar strap. I'll be busy with cleaning, gaskets, new crystals, bezel inserts (when absolutely necessary), and movement servicing.

Lots of Fun!

·
Special Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So nice to see great untouched examples.
Normally the 1st thing I do is open cases to check for any movement damage. 1 is a non-runner but movement looks clean with no water intrusion so most likely an easy fix. Amazing how many look like they have never been serviced and have the original caseback gaskets that when removed were super flat and thin.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Nice haul! Great collection!

Personally, I'd have to source some original crystals for those babies.........

·
Special Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally, I'd have to source some original crystals for those babies.........
I would love to find original crystals at reasonable prices. The P/P looks like it has an earlier lower height JK East Tech Type III. 10 years ago it was the Best available but the lower height really bothers me - it's just not right!

·
Special Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Old Flattened Thin Caseback Gaskets are BAD! After opening the last 6105 I noticed a spot of rust to the inside of the threads. The caseback gasket was thin as paper and possibly the original. Looking closer at the front of the dial I can see where water intrusion has come in (near the 5 minute mark) and discolored the chapter ring. There are also small spots on the dial. Bad Caseback Gasket!

·
Special Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only one of the Bezel Inserts is in really bad shape and will need replacing. Luckily I bought many of Harold's Early 1st Generation 6105 Bezel Inserts. When these first came out Seiko collectors were in Dive Watch Heaven. Excellent Font Match, Large nicely aged Pip Dot, Perfect Fit. What I find amazing about Harold's Earlier Inserts is they have a Nice, Grainy Texture and Matte Finish (not shiny) just like the originals. It is surprising how spares and good quality parts get used up so quickly.

·
Premium Member
9,667 Posts
that is some serious watch inventory - gonna have beautiful pieces when completed. nice share!

·
Special Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
And big score on the chocolate strap!!
I am very happy with the P/P but am even more excited about the Chocolate Bar Strap. I've been buying Seikos for a long time and this is my 1st Chocolate Bar Strap in good usable condition. With the Chocolate Bar on the 6105-8110 Proof/Proof it's a thrill to finally see exactly how the watches originally left the SUWA factory.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I would love to find original crystals at reasonable prices. The P/P looks like it has an earlier lower height JK East Tech Type III. 10 years ago it was the Best available but the lower height really bothers me - it's just not right!

You could have the glasses refinished.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Dragons hoard piles of Gold, you hoard 6105 diver... :D

Very nice stash! That's quite the fortune sitting there. Must be a b**ch at customs.

·
Special Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You could have the glasses refinished.
I would like to find someone who can refinish crystals. I always thought it took too much time and the results were not very good? I always save the original crystals whenever installing a new one so I have a good size pile of used 6105 crystals.

Some of the used 6105 crystals are not that bad with only minor surface scratches but some of the taller height crystals (Type 1) have sizable chips to the edges ( I don't think used crystals with chips would refinish well? ). Minor surface scratches I definitely would like to find someone who has experienced excellent results.

I am seriously OCD with my watch crystals and I don't like looking at a beautiful dial through scratches or imperfections on crystals.

·
Special Member
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If a used crystal top can be refinished evenly why not refinish the used Type 1 crystals. Since early Type 1 have a considerably taller height you could take off a lot of top material and it would end up being a little shorter and more like a Type 2 (which is my preferred Height). This could be a Very interesting project!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts