The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys,
Im in the process of aquiring a 6105, it looks to be overall in good shape but the hands are the Seiko service replacement. I've been seeing these type pop alot more often these days. I'm trying to understand in terms of value. How much does this affect the price compared to one that is all original, percentage wise? Would most of you rather keep them on or get them replaced with one of Seikosis AM? Really need some input here before I send off money. Appreciate your input.

Moe

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,529 Posts
Nice 6105. Dial looks to be in great shape. I've had many 6105 with replaced Seiko service hands that look identical to the hands on this watch. From my understanding the service hands are original Seiko but are undersized and small compared to the Original 6105 Hand Set. Although they are Original Seiko Hands they don't look correct and the lume area is too small. IMO they Just Look Weird. The stoplight sweep seconds looks in great condition with the original salmon/pink lume dot - Very nice.

Whenever I have had the thinner Service replacement hands on a 6105 I have ended up replacing them with either Relumed Originals or Yobokies replacements. If original are not available then I would purchase Yobokies Hour and Minute Hands and keep the Original Sweep Seconds. Maybe have Guy relume to match the Dial Lume.

I would Never buy anything from Seikosis (also known as Bubble boy on the SCWF).... not even a spring bar pin.

·
Administrator
29,226 Posts
Like you say there are quite a few knocking about with service hands, I bought some NOS service hands years ago and they have the same Seiko part number.

Personally I much prefer the original hands to the service hands, if it was mine I would replace them with original hands but I wouldent ever consider replacing them with after market ones as the entire watch looks to nice to debase it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice 6105. Dial looks to be in great shape. I've had many 6105 with replaced Seiko service hands that look identical to the hands on this watch. From my understanding the service hands are original Seiko but are undersized and small compared to the Original 6105 Hand Set. Although they are Original Seiko Hands they don't look correct and the lume area is too small. IMO they Just Look Weird. The stoplight sweep seconds looks in great condition with the original salmon/pink lume dot - Very nice.

Whenever I have had the thinner Service replacement hands on a 6105 I have ended up replacing them with either Relumed Originals or Yobokies replacements. If original are not available then I would purchase Yobokies Hour and Minute Hands and keep the Original Sweep Seconds. Maybe have Guy relume to match the Dial Lume.

I would Never buy anything from Seikosis not even a spring bar pin.
I've bought a few parts off of Harold in the past and always great stuff. I think I'll go that route. I'll keep the sweep hand just the way it is and hopefully Guy would do me the honor of waving his magic wand on this watch lol.

I was really aiming for all original but with what prices are going these days its tough luck for me.
Like you say there are quite a few knocking about with service hands, I bought some NOS service hands years ago and they have the same Seiko part number.

Personally I much prefer the original hands to the service hands, if it was mine I would replace them with original hands but I wouldent ever consider replacing them with after market ones as the entire watch looks to nice to debase it.
These hands resemble very closely to the 6139 600x. Never handled one of these auto chrono so can't tell if they're the same size.

·
Special Member
4,549 Posts
Aftermarket hands are just never right, it becomes nagging, imo and personal experience. If you like rest of watch, you can source original H&M on other models. That’s what I would do.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aftermarket hands are just never right, it becomes nagging, imo and personal experience. If you like rest of watch, you can source original H&M on other models. That’s what I would do.
I tried checking on Boyle for the part number. But it's doesn't mention I only see the crown, crystal and gasket. Would you happen to know?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
well remember my friend...there were many dress watches that used the correct hands too..if u are going to keep the second hand...if it were me..the original hands are key....i can get u a list of all the known models i know if that helps...God Bless,John
that watch looks quite nice...the right set of hands will make it look perfect

·
Special Member
4,549 Posts
I tried checking on Boyle for the part number. But it's doesn't mention I only see the crown, crystal and gasket. Would you happen to know?

I meant other Seiko watches, that had the same hands. One would have to source one of those for the hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
601 Posts
I was lucky and got a cheap Sportsmatic (I think it was an 7625) with the correct hour and minute hands and installed them on my 6105.
Looks way better than the service hands and they are genuine Seiko for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
A dilemma i faced more than a few times. I waited and Traded for hands that were starting to have Grung than I sent them to Jack A.
He would relume with a Non Glowing lume that matched the OEM dial lume only Color wise when not charged
it was the lesser of evils IMHO even though I have pairs of Replacement hands
I do have a 6105-8000 still with Replacement hands It was the first winder Pete K made and he did not have any 6105 Hands
It was a gift and they will stay that way Till a New owner gets there chance . good Luck.
But most important I think Jringo8769 offer of the list of Seiko's that had the 6105 Hr. and min. hands The list may answer your 6105 hands with some luck.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well remember my friend...there were many dress watches that used the correct hands too..if u are going to keep the second hand...if it were me..the original hands are key....i can get u a list of all the known models i know if that helps...God Bless,John
that watch looks quite nice...the right set of hands will make it look perfect
Yes John id like to have a go at that list, would make things a bit easier. Thank you!

I was lucky and got a cheap Sportsmatic (I think it was an 7625) with the correct hour and minute hands and installed them on my 6105.
Looks way better than the service hands and they are genuine Seiko for the peace of mind.
Thanks for that info just had a quick look on the bay for a Sportsmatic seems its not as easy to find either lol.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Great Gift from Guy.. I have tried to reason with myself.. after-all they are Seiko Factory Replacement Hands,,, True.. but it rarely Worked: good that the Sec hand looks so nice.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I've bought a few parts off of Harold in the past and always great stuff. I think I'll go that route. I'll keep the sweep hand just the way it is and hopefully Guy would do me the honor of waving his magic wand on this watch lol.

I was really aiming for all original but with what prices are going these days its tough luck for me. These hands resemble very closely to the 6139 600x. Never handled one of these auto chrono so can't tell if they're the same size.

Seiko casing guides list the replacement hands as part #12B64B. The same hands used on the 6139-600X chronos

And, as you've pointed out they are not the same as the originals.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Better pictures. That’s a really nice 6105, Moe, great find!
Thanks bud it took a while looking and finding that fits my budget and with just the right wear. I usually find my purchases much better in person so I'm hoping it would be the same this time.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Finally it has arrived my 6105-8119 from 1973.c Currently with a friend of mine in the US, but glad to know it looks better than I had anticipated. If I'm not mistaken that is the original type 2 crystal too. Feeling stoked! Not my strapped tho so need to decide if I want the same waffle or get a MM strap instead.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts