The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted elsewhere but was told you folks might be able to assist.

My mother recently gifted me my dad’s old scuba diving watch. It’s a Seiko 6105-8119 (automatic).

It’s currently not functioning and has seen much better days. Besides the aesthetic issues you see in the picture, there’s also a rattle inside the case every time the watch is moved; something is defiantly loose in there.

For nostalgic reasons, I’d like to have the watch refurbished and brought back to life and into my rotation. Is this possible? If so, can you guys give me suggestions where to start looking and what I might be looking at, cost wise? I’m located in Central Florida

Thanks in advance for any and all help. It’s much appreciated.
92612192-A78B-4732-AA1E-746CDACD79CF.jpeg
92612192-A78B-4732-AA1E-746CDACD79CF.jpeg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I posted elsewhere but was told you folks might be able to assist.

My mother recently gifted me my dad’s old scuba diving watch. It’s a Seiko 6105-8119 (automatic).

It’s currently not functioning and has seen much better days. Besides the aesthetic issues you see in the picture, there’s also a rattle inside the case every time the watch is moved; something is defiantly loose in there.

For nostalgic reasons, I’d like to have the watch refurbished and brought back to life and into my rotation. Is this possible? If so, can you guys give me suggestions where to start looking and what I might be looking at, cost wise? I’m located in Central Florida

Thanks in advance for any and all help. It’s much appreciated.
View attachment 447844 View attachment 447844 View attachment 447844
Possible yes. But first things first. Where are you located? We have plenty of experienced watchmakers from different regions of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
That still looks great. I would just have it cleaned up and the movement serviced. The rattling could be a loose or worn rotor.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
That's a great candidate for a restore. Dial looks great! Service, seals, clean up and re-lume hands. Good for another 40 years!

Rob

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would echo what Zeke said, just a movement service a crystal and gaskets. It is a really nice watch that has a huge following and tons of strap options as well as bracelets. My advice after service is desk diving only though.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
You absolutely have a candidate for restoration. Hands would need to be cleaned and re-lumed but the dial looks amazing. The crown looks incorrect for this model but other than that well worth the investment to have it serviced. These watches are going for 4 figures these days. Put this on the proper looking chocolate bar dive strap or GL831 reproduction from Uncle Seiko and you have an heirloom investment piece to wear and enjoy as a piece of history from your Dad.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Haven't seen anyone actually post a good watchmaker/restoration expert to send it to, so I will recommend Guy (GuyJ here on the forum). He's in the UK, but he fixed up my dad's 6105-8119 after a previous fella botched the lume job. If you want it done right, spend the money. (He also goes by @Rexworthywatches on Instagram, if you're on there; you can see his work, it's really good.)

If you've done any homework on these models, their water resistance was compromised by the crown gasket. It was originally designed to be a replacement part (the entire crown... odd design), but since Seiko is notorious for being over-built people wouldn't take them in for service, and that's why you see so many water-damaged Seiko divers from that era. It's a little odd to see the dial and the hands on yours so drastically different; I'm definitely not an expert, but as I understand it the black "gunk" is a result of water / vapor intrusion (not hard to believe if it's been in Florida most of its life and the gasket is dried up that there would be a significant amount of humidity inside it...). You dial looks very clean, where the hands are pretty dirty. It depends on what you want to do, but it may be hard to match lume to the dial, so it would probably look better to relume the whole thing.

The insert and crystal look awesome, you could just buff out the crystal with some polishing compound and it will serve you well.

Good luck, and keep us all updated!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks guys! Would anyone be able to recommend where to have serviced in the Central Florida area?
Don't limit yourself to Central Florida. I'm in Nevada and sent my dad's to guy there in Florida that botched the lume job. Wasn't good at all. See my reply above, send it to Guy in the UK. It's an important watch with (I'm assuming) a lot of sentimental value; spend the time and money to get it done right so you can wear it proudly. Good luck.

·
Administrator
29,192 Posts
I agree with everything you say apart from reluming the dial, if the hands can't be lumed to match the dial (I think they can with our experts) I would rather have the hands slightly mismatched than relume a great original dial like that one (jmo).

, but it may be hard to match lume to the dial, so it would probably look better to relume the whole thing.

The insert and crystal look awesome, you could just buff out the crystal with some polishing compound and it will serve you well.

Good luck, and keep us all updated!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I suggest Guy in the UK especially as he is so darn good at the color matching of the hands (that need help) to the dial (which is perfect don't touch the hour markers!)

Also members Zeke441 and VetteEnthusiast above do great work here in the USA.

Might I add that the movement making that noise could be a simple matter of a loose rotor such that re-attaching could get her going again. However after all these years just sitting get it serviced anyway not only will you be able to wear it like a new watch, the old lubricants are bound to be solidified and running it a lot without servicing first could actually cause a great deal of harm.

This watch has the "Short stoplight seconds hand". Just a bit of trivia for you.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree with everything you say apart from reluming the dial, if the hands can't be lumed to match the dial (I think they can with our experts) I would rather have the hands slightly mismatched than relume a great original dial like that one (jmo).
John, you're definitely an expert, and I know Guy is a magician, so I will definitely believe you! For me, personally, I'm just biased toward having the hands and dial glow together, instead of just the hands. If it's a watch with sentimental value beyond any price, I'd want it entirely relumed for technicalities sake (that's what I did...).

OP, It's definitely up to you to decide!

·
Registered
180 Posts
This watch has the "Short stoplight seconds hand". Just a bit of trivia for you.
I was thinking the same thing but wasn't 100% sure. BTW, is that from a certain time period? I'm assuming so... My dad's from 1975 has the short hour, and my 6105-8000 from early 1969 has the long hour.

·
Administrator
29,192 Posts
For me the most important part of any vintage model especially but not limited to divers is the dial, then the dial closely followed by the dial :) and that dial looks great and if it does go to Guy he would perhaps tart it up a little more to look almost like new, remember dials are pretty important jmo :) :)

Guy is a magician,

OP, It's definitely up to you to decide!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts