The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Special Member
8,000 Posts
Does anyone else question this, like maybe a bit of shill play and a relist is coming ? Or a nuclear bid and will prove to be non-payer?

I saw it over $5K earlier today, that alone was surprise. This blows my mind !

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is an absurd price... I can't imagine who would pay that. Aside from the case (which is excellent), I've seen better examples go for far less ($1200-1600). Additionally, I saw an unused (now that NOS is off the table?) case go for something like ~$1000 within the last year as well.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Well I am sure this is a exception
But prices of all watches are going much higher overall which to me is shocking even everyday watches are selling for much higher prices than I would have ever thought
I see no watch worth 10 grand
But anyone can spend there funds as they wish
Makes me want to keep more as we all know we can not pay these kind of prices or maybe the smart thing is to sell them all and no longer wear a watch
Stay safe out there
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Time Seller

·
Special Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking closely at the bidding there were 2 bidders in the final stretch starting at $9,400. Both with considerable feedback. The Winning bidder with 257 feedback and runner up bidder with 1194 feedback. Not Zero or New Bidders and does not look like Shill Bidding. Although one can never be certain at first glance it looks like a valid auction and sale.

Did anyone else just feel the ground shake?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ridonkulous. Now I need to buy another one just to get fair trade for a LNIB Rolex Hulk.

Reactions: Grammarofdesign

·
Special Member
2,282 Posts
the auction was FILLED with shill bidders. if you don't think that, you're crazy. look at the low numbered bidders bidding 4 digits on the watch. the final two bidders might not have been shills, but the price was clearly, falsely raised.

i don't care if that was the last -8110 on the planet, no way that watch is worth that coin. give me a Rolex sub or Sea Dweller for that. =)

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is really an absurd price!

While it is a very nice piece, it is not perfect and needs to be serviced. And although the description stated that it has the original strap, I was not able to check this, as there were no pictures of the inside of the end of the strap and of the inside of the buckle.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Is it just me that finds it slightly sad the family sold it to a dealer for this to happen? Chap kept it like that so it was obviously a luxury buy to him at the original price (equivalent of around $1k today)

Wonder what the dealer paid. They obviously didn’t research otherwise they’d have ebay’d it themselves so I’d imagine at worst he could say “well here they are for $1500 but yours needs a service and I need a profit so here’s $800”

At best he must have paid $1000 (but more likely way less) as I can’t imagine he’d have expected more than around $2k minus fees etc?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is it just me that finds it slightly sad the family sold it to a dealer for this to happen? Chap kept it like that so it was obviously a luxury buy to him at the original price (equivalent of around $1k today)

Wonder what the dealer paid. They obviously didn’t research otherwise they’d have ebay’d it themselves so I’d imagine at worst he could say “well here they are for $1500 but yours needs a service and I need a profit so here’s $800”

At best he must have paid $1000 (but more likely way less) as I can’t imagine he’d have expected more than around $2k minus fees etc?
Sadly this happens all the time, original owner getting taken advantage because they don’t know what they have.

I was bidding recently on vintage pre-TAG Valjoux Heuer when it’s abruptly canceled and relist it for buy it now. I immediately contacted seller to ask if he knows that these are not TAG Heuer and would sell for much much more money.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thats incredible.
If I were you folk with the collections I'd be looking out a suitable candidate for sale if that's how the market sits.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Thats incredible.
If I were you folk with the collections I'd be looking out a suitable candidate for sale if that's how the market sits.
I’d say it’s a bit of an extreme example and could well be artificial inflation anyway but when the prices go up it more makes me want to keep them longer for fear of regret & being priced out the market if I want back in.

I’ve gone to sell my Daini 6105-8009 a few times over last year or so, every time I go to get a feeler for the prices I see they appear to be higher and it makes me put it back away. It’s not because I want more for it, it’s because (as we often do) I may regret and want another in the near future.

It’s like some of the pogues I’ve sold. I’ll never be able to replace them, for one you hardly ever see them in perfect dial condition and if you do (a year on) they’re loads more expensive.

It’s definitely a good market to be a seller but a grim market if you’re a tight-arse’d wannabe collector like me.

·
Administrator
33,842 Posts
The 6105 is one of my all time favorite's but that is past crazy.

the auction was FILLED with shill bidders. if you don't think that, you're crazy. look at the low numbered bidders bidding 4 digits on the watch. the final two bidders might not have been shills, but the price was clearly, falsely raised.

i don't care if that was the last -8110 on the planet, no way that watch is worth that coin. give me a Rolex sub or Sea Dweller for that. =)

<* shark >>><

Reactions: Grammarofdesign
1 - 20 of 26 Posts