The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this turned up on the ebay. Wrong case obviously but I couldn't help notice this proof 8000 caseback has 7 digit serial number. Never seen this before.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
.................................................. ..

6105-8000 April 1968. 7 Didget Close to yours by a few Months Nice when they Pop up. Russell

Attachments

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Looks to me like Seiko accidentally produced a batch of case backs with the wrong serials. The 8 at the start is clearly an after addition compared to the rest of the serial no. Pretty cool though.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Looks to me like Seiko accidentally produced a batch of case backs with the wrong serials. The 8 at the start is clearly an after addition compared to the rest of the serial no. Pretty cool though.
But then the other 7 digits are off centre.

Then again perhaps the other digits where accidentally stamped off centre so Seiko thought how can we make this look better....ahhhh yes, lets put a wonky digit in the gap. But they should have used the same digit as the first 7 digit. Are you all still with me on this.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I have a couple of other models with 7 digits from the 60's as well. We know the 1st 2 digits should be the year and month, the remaining is the number in the production line. Maybe they made more than 10,000 of those models those years? They would need to add a digit if more than 10,000 were made to avoid a repeat in the serial number.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts