The Watch Site banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not an expert in these so I was hoping some of the resident experts can help me out and let me know if it looks to be original (dial, hands, bezel). It may be more than I want to spend anyway but figured I'd ask before pursuing. The serial number is 87xxxxx. It has a proof case back and the movement is stamped with 6105A.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

·
First Lady
2,996 Posts
By no means an expert here, either, but the hour markers and hands look legit, which says to me the dial is, too. The discoloration on the lume pip says real, as well. What a beautiful example. Cost must be prohibitive…..

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kat. It may have already sold. I’m still trying to figure out what to look for on these. Read a few posts here and there but trying to be more careful since they tend to fetch a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
First Lady
2,996 Posts
Thanks Kat. It may have already sold. I’m still trying to figure out what to look for on these. Read a few posts here and there but trying to be more careful since they tend to fetch a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dial markings are important. The replacement dials often have green tinted lume and only one row of script on left at bottom of dial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
1,471 Posts
I would wager dial and hands have been relumed since they match perfectly and all of the markers except 6, 8 and 9 show evidence of past lume rot corrosion, must have been light as the rhodium looks super nice all the way around. Markers 4,5 and 8 show the most obvious evidence of relume application, error if you will. But a lovely dial, very nice. I would love to see the back :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
just so I am seeing the same thing and learning, do you suspect relume because there are marks on the metal surrounds to the lume but the lume is generally excellent? A great relume if so. Nicely done.

·
Special Member
2,631 Posts
just so I am seeing the same thing and learning, do you suspect relume because there are marks on the metal surrounds to the lume but the lume is generally excellent? A great relume if so. Nicely done.
that's one thing, but the lume is not applied evenly at all. look at the divot on the 4 o'clock marker; the 6, 9 and 10 markers have too much lume in them and so on.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the info. Definitely learned some things to look for in the future. This one actually sold, which is better anyway, as I probably didn't need to buy something else right now till I get rid of a few others first.

·
Special Member
1,471 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info. Definitely learned some things to look for in the future. This one actually sold, which is better anyway, as I probably didn't need to buy something else right now till I get rid of a few others first.
What were they asking for the watch? I think 6105-800X is getting bumped both in popularity and price since the reissue SPB3xx, I think the watch has always been undervalued when compared to it's cousin the 811x, just my 2 cents. Overall it was a good looking watch. I sold three 8119s a couple of years ago, the one that had been relumed did not age well, it had been serviced at IWW in 2004;
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Gauge

The second one had not been relumed or serviced and brought a higher price
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

The "project watch" that I sold actually had the best dial
Watch Gauge Clock Analog watch Measuring instrument

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The watch was over on WUS. It was being offered for $2K obo. Just difficult to figure out originals, for me at least. It's the same reason I don't have a Pogue yet because it feels like a minefield. I'm learning though.

·
Craftsman
2,320 Posts
that's one thing, but the lume is not applied evenly at all. look at the divot on the 4 o'clock marker; the 6, 9 and 10 markers have too much lume in them and so on.

<* shark >>><
I have seen enough of these dials to know Seiko lume application was not perfect. There are going to be divots and imperfection in the surface of the lume. Hand applied lume is just that, hand applied.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts