The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am just beginning my Seiko journey and have always loved dive watches. I've seen a few Seiko 6015-8110 on eBay, and just wondering what a fair price is for one in good working order with excellent used condition? They seem to be going between £500-700?

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
you can get a pretty darn good original (w/ killer dial and hands) for $600-700 on the 'bay. be wary of shill bidders; it's easy to see. I just sold a really nice one for $650. good luck!

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Well hello....Glad to have you with us...well that 6105 is a excellent watch...well it all depends on the watch...you want to find a untouched model....a scratched crystal...missing band...the more original the better...very nice ones can go for much more than 500 to 700 british pounds...every watch is different...and if you are serious about finding one...there is a thread that is great to read too..it will show you what to look for...you do not want one that has been restored with a re polished case....lot of aftermarket parts...take a look at this link...if i can help...please let me know that is why we are here....God Bless John

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Seiko-6105-Buying-Guide-/10000000177741569/g.html

http://wornandwound.com/2014/01/20/affordable-vintage-seiko-6105/

i can not seem to find the 6105 buying guide...look for clean untouched lines..clear writing on the back...the dial should be very clear..lume should be whiteish...not green....unless it has be relumed...aftermarket parts will devalue the watch and original parts are very hard to find and expensive to replace...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
jrigngo8769 & thesharkman

Thank you for your help and excellent resources for information. I will keep my eyes open for a good example, but I fear for the moment this watch may be out of my price reach.

I just purchased a 6139 and love it more than any watch I've owned. I followed the thread on what to look for and think I picked a pretty decent example.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
It's worth being patient waiting for the right one to turn up, then you will get a watch you'll appreciate for a long time. But beware of the 'restored' 'refurbished' new dials etc... My advice is learn as much you can first.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Listen to Jim W...when i started back with watches...i was so eager to just buy something...please listen to people much smarter than myself...the right one will turn up and remember it is better to spend a little more and get a great example that buy one cheap and pour money into it...anytime you need any help...please just ask us..most of us have learned the hard way...God Bless John

·
Registered
499 Posts
Let your research weigh heavily on what it is going to cost to get it to where you want it to be after you purchase it. Sympathetic case refinish, bezel insert, crystal, dial clean and/or relume, hands cleaned and/or relumed, movement service. Your $500 watch is now can easily get close to $1000. Then factor in how much time it is going to take to get all those parts. And then the time to have all the work done (if not doing it yourself.) And if you do have someone do the service, how well will they stand behind a 40 year old watch?

Just things that make you go hmmmmmm! Sometimes it may be cheaper to spend a little more and get an item that is already where you want it to be.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
“It is unwise to pay too much, but it is worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money—that is all. When you pay too little you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do ... If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”
— John Ruskin (1819-1900)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
jrigngo8769 & thesharkman

Thank you for your help and excellent resources for information. I will keep my eyes open for a good example, but I fear for the moment this watch may be out of my price reach.

I just purchased a 6139 and love it more than any watch I've owned. I followed the thread on what to look for and think I picked a pretty decent example.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a nice 6309 diver to start out your collection with. A lot more affordable but just like any collectable item that is older these watches are going to pick up non Seiko parts as they have been worn and enjoyed for the last 30 years.
You can go detail nuts to try and find that watch that someone bought and almost never wore. The watch that spend its whole life in the sock drawer instead of the sun. They are out there, but not to many.
Me myself I just enjoy a nice clean Seiko and as long as a parts is of a high quality and looks the part I will buy the watch wear it and enjoy it.
You are either going to fall into one of two camps. The all original camp which includes the faded dials and moldy looking lume. The watch that has had nothing changed just serviced. Or there is the other crowd who like their old watches to look clean like they did when they were new. There are different degrees of how "original" a watch is. It is just what pleases you and your eyes. Don't collect a certain way because someone else tells you this is how you collect but do listen when people here tell you values. The people on here know their stuff. Ask first then buy unless you only buying a $50 dollar watch. In other words enjoyment should come first in collecting but not at the cost of losing big money buy paying a price for a watch that is not what it is represented to be.

Michael

·
Registered
249 Posts
Good words John ! With watches it is all about condition, condition, condition...

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
most important is to wear and enjoy all of them...nothing worse than just seeing it being untouched due to worry about scratching it too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts