The Watch Site banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I put a new capacitor in a customer's 5M42.
Its the correct capacitor (the non faulty one) in case you're wondering!

I've had it on my winder for 3 days.
I push the button and the seconds hand only goes down to about 22 seconds. Shouldn't it be going all the watch to 30 seconds by now?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I was told by the watchmaster that replaced the capacitor in my 5M42 that it already had a charge on it when it was installed.

If your cap was dead when you got it then you may have a problem.

Also a standard winder for "automatic" watches do not provided enough rotation or angle to charge a kinetic (or so I have have read over the years)

·
Banned
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a watchmaker :)

Even if the capacitor had no charge I think it still should've charged up fully by now...or not. That's what I'd like to know.

I have a Chinese Bergeon copy watchwinder. Its not a dinky little one :p

Attachments

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I am not a watchmaker so have limited experience with Kinetics. What I have found though is the new capacitors come with a charge in them, I have had a couple fully charged. Also I had a supposedly new capacitor that was flat and would not fully charge no matter how much I spun it around. It also lost charge quickly thereafter.

If you have the time, I would take the watch off the winder and see how long it holds its charge for. Not accepting full charge would indicate a duff capacitor to me. BTW: it was a 5M42.

·
Banned
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not a watchmaker so have limited experience with Kinetics. What I have found though is the new capacitors come with a charge in them, I have had a couple fully charged. Also I had a supposedly new capacitor that was flat and would not fully charge no matter how much I spun it around. It also lost charge quickly thereafter.

If you have the time, I would take the watch off the winder and see how long it holds its charge for. Not accepting full charge would indicate a duff capacitor to me. BTW: it was a 5M42.

I'm a watchmaker who has limited experience with them!
This one is obviously gaining at least 2/3 of its full charge.

He's not in a hurry for it so yeah, I'll take it off the winder and make sure it keeps going for days/a week before I send it to him.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I tried the toothbrush charger but could not get a result but I know that many have. I lack the right charger?

Anyway I usually spin the old kinetic round for yonks by hand, it can take a while but my wrist is strong.....matron:biggrin:

·
Special Member
1,632 Posts
Every new cell that I have installed has had at least a 20 second reserve before I put it on the kinetic charger.

There is a problem with the cell if it wasn't showing any charge when brand new.

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
An automatic winder is no good for a kinetic watch - DC generator theory says " The output voltage is proportional to the speed of rotation". Therefore - slow rotation = low or no output, same as a car with a dynamo.

·
Banned
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I was right and I was wrong:undecided:

The cell doesn't necessarily have charge in it when new.
The braun electric toothbrush can be adapted to charge a kinetic
My winder will never fully charge it - too slow.

The upshot - I'm taking it to a watchmaker friend who's going to put it on his Seiko Kinetic winder for me for half a day to do the job.

So, now I know.
Thanks for your imput:)

·
Administrator
33,753 Posts
Well, I was right and I was wrong:undecided:

The cell doesn't necessarily have charge in it when new.
The braun electric toothbrush can be adapted to charge a kinetic
My winder will never fully charge it - too slow.

The upshot - I'm taking it to a watchmaker friend who's going to put it on his Seiko Kinetic winder for me for half a day to do the job.

So, now I know.
Thanks for your imput:)
Whats one of those and how dose it work ?

I thought this was the tool/charger required for Kinetics ?

·
Special Member
3,456 Posts
Another idea might be to wear the watch for a few days to charge it? My watchmaker does this sometimes when he is dealing with a vexing problem. Not sure if this idea can apply to kinetic movements.

·
Banned
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another idea might be to wear the watch for a few days to charge it? My watchmaker does this sometimes when he is dealing with a vexing problem. Not sure if this idea can apply to kinetic movements.

It is a good idea but I'm loathe to wear customer's watches - I'd hate to damage them and its bracelet is too big for me.

My old boss used to wear customer's watches - he could be seen wearing watches on both wrists often including women's watches:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Every new cell that I have installed has had at least a 20 second reserve before I put it on the kinetic charger.

There is a problem with the cell if it wasn't showing any charge when brand new.
I agree with this. All of my new cells have at least 20sec charge on them when newly replaced.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts