The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local seller has a Seiko 5717-8990 with the 1964 Olympic Games logo on the case back for ~$250. Seems like a rare watch - any idea if that's a good price? The pics he has posted don't show much about the condition (hence I'm not even bothering with posting them here), but he says it runs and keeps good time.

What do you think? Good value? Too much?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Yes. Buy it, it's cheap if it's complete and running. Sometimes the pusher is worn. You can get an super cheap nos pusher here from seikochrono at the moment.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your comments! I decided to pull the trigger on this one - picked it up last night. Not quite the condition I was hoping for, but it runs well and only lost about 40 sec in 18 hours or so.

Crystal is very badly scratched - I'm guessing it'll mostly buff out, or I'll just replace it. Hands are consistent with photos online. Dial has a few scratches, particularly around 4 and 5 o'clock. Given that the second hand isn't completely straight, I'd guess someone saw a reason to take the movement out at some point (perhaps an amateur crystal replacement sometime ago?). Caseback has an odd "crease" in it - the back is flat, but looks like it was pressed along an edge at some point. That's a new one to me. May be able to tap that out.

Given that it runs and seems to be authentic and complete (and the movement is very clean), I decided that the rougher-than-expected condition was worth it.

One question - I took the bezel off to clean it and can't for the life of me get it to go back on. It's held in place by an octagonal wire that keeps jumping out of place. Is there a trick here that I'm missing?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Pull against the wire when your fitting the bezel. No force needed. Sorry my advice probably sounds a bit harsh but as I said I'm a fussy ******* and that is a nice watch. Good luck finding the bracelet though!

Oh and crystal looks like it'll clean up nicely but be careful with those acrylic ones! I use 1200grit wet & dry paper, a polishing wheel/mop and very fine white polishing soap and remember what I said I'm no expert :D

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
The bracelet on mine (same model) is a beads if rice, original to the watch and occasionally found on other period seikos. Buckle is not signed, this is normal.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The bracelet on mine (same model) is a beads if rice, original to the watch and occasionally found on other period seikos. Buckle is not signed, this is normal.
Glad you said that my weekdate buckle is not signed and I did wonder :) Think Duncan cannop listed a few photos of some super examples not long ago if you use the search above for 5717 it should find the post for you Tom.

Enjoy your lovely watch! and give it time to fall for it. I hated my 6217-8001 at first but now it's one of my favourite watches!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Awesome watch! I got mine after looking at this picture

And managed to find a new pusher, buffed the crystal and it now looks like this. (bezel needs some paint and maybe a new crystal after all)

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Glad you said that my weekdate buckle is not signed and I did wonder :) Think Duncan cannop listed a few photos of some super examples not long ago if you use the search above for 5717 it should find the post for you Tom.

Enjoy your lovely watch! and give it time to fall for it. I hated my 6217-8001 at first but now it's one of my favourite watches!
Harry did a Seiko Olympic brochure and 5717 watch post a while back also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts