The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I recently went to Japan and picked up a Seiko 5626-7111 with the HI-BEAT 5626B movement at a thrift store for around 170 USD. The watch is in an okey condition it ran and had a okey clean dial. Unfortunaly a couple of hours later it stopped and the store ofc had a non return policy.

I had some experience tinkering with the UNITAS 6497 and 6498 and thought that this 5626B could be my next challenge. I dissasembled the movement completely and cleaned it. When I assembled it and lubricated it again, i felt that there was a issue when i tried setting the watch. I then dissasembled the train wheels and noticed that the part called "Large driving wheel and pinions" part 220560 had way to much friction. It would not move, and I was quite stupid and dried to remove the cannon pinion from the wheel, and I ended up breaking the whole wheel. I have searched the web a couple of days now looking for this part, but it seems hard to find. I see that the 5606 uses the same part, so I am considering buying a 5606 movement hoping to find a working part 220560. But does anyone here have this part around. I am based in Norway btw.

Another thing? Do anyone know if the crystal in the 7111 case is glue or pressfitted? Can't seem to find any information on this and if anyone else can reccomend a nice replacement crystal with a beveled edge? I see that some have reccomened the Sternkreuz XMF 300.863, Seiko 300W96GN for the 7110 case, will this fit a 7111 case?

Any help appreciated

Br
Nicholas

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the guide. Will check it out. So my question is kind of more like "Do anyone have the 220560 part laying around?" :) Or is a good place where i could source it?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I had a quick look on line and I did not find it. Chances are a rare NOS part could cost nearly as much a a used movement. There is a sales section in this forum. You have to ask there, but you need a minimum number of posts before you can place a wanted to buy post.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have NOS 220560, but you are right. Will probably be cheaper for you to find a parts watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Just saw the message. Cannot reply to you via pm because I have not posted 5 posts yet. But I will consider the offer, I am looking at spare movements from Japan now.

·
Administrator
28,487 Posts
I had a quick look on line and I did not find it. Chances are a rare NOS part could cost nearly as much a a used movement. There is a sales section in this forum. You have to ask there, but you need a minimum number of posts before you can place a wanted to buy post.
You can post a wtb even if you have a zero post count but you can't sell/trade with a zero post count.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do anyone know if the crystal in the 7111 case is glue or pressfitted? Can't seem to find any information on this and if anyone else can reccomend a nice replacement crystal with a beveled edge? I see that some have reccomened the Sternkreuz , Seiko for the 7110 case, will this fit a 7111 case?

I believe the crystal is listed as 300V16GN . The V means it has a ring bonded to the glass, and it is this ring, and not the glass, that the bezel clamps down in place. So the good news is you can use absolutely any 30.0mm crystal, but I'd suggest one with a beveled edge as optically that will help mask the ring - any sternkreuz XMF will work - just get the one that the nearest in height.
The bad news is that you'll have to reuse the ring from the old crystal which can be tough to get off.
Martin has written a guide to this: https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.com/2018/04/29/seiko-v-type-bonded-crystals/

I've had good results with this technique, Jake

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Do anyone know if the crystal in the 7111 case is glue or pressfitted? Can't seem to find any information on this and if anyone else can reccomend a nice replacement crystal with a beveled edge? I see that some have reccomened the Sternkreuz , Seiko for the 7110 case, will this fit a 7111 case?

I believe the crystal is listed as 300V16GN . The V means it has a ring bonded to the glass, and it is this ring, and not the glass, that the bezel clamps down in place. So the good news is you can use absolutely any 30.0mm crystal, but I'd suggest one with a beveled edge as optically that will help mask the ring - any sternkreuz XMF will work - just get the one that the nearest in height.
The bad news is that you'll have to reuse the ring from the old crystal which can be tough to get off.
Martin has written a guide to this: https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.com/2018/04/29/seiko-v-type-bonded-crystals/

I've had good results with this technique, Jake
300v16 is a crystal that is prebonded to the bezel. So it is both glued AND pressfit. When you buy an original 300v16, it will come with the bezel. You then pressfit the entire assembly to your watch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently had to replace a badly scratched crystal in a Grand Seiko.
It was bonded into a silver bezel. Couldn't source the whole thing, and a glass was silly money!
I popped it in a saucepan and slowly brought it too the boil.
After a couple of minutes boiling, it pushed straight out.
Quickly cleaned up any remaining glue with a cocktail stick.
Glued in a Sternkreuz equivalent, looks great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts