The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a project on my bench, Seiko 5216-6030 Lord Matic which was quite rough condition when I acquired poor fellow.

It was full of some green goo, I guess it's old oil(?) and obviously it was no ticker. All parts was so covered by this and rust, that I had difficulties even get this apart. For example centre wheel and pinion felt they were one part. I needed to rip pinion out with pliers.

Anyway, got all separated, cleaned, but during cleaning main spring I noticed it wasn't flat so ordered new barrel & spring. Question is, when you receive new set do you need to clean it or do you trust oiling what is already in place?

I didn't do anything just replaced complete barrel as it came. And was able to get watch ticking!

Downside is it only ticks 5-10 minutes and stops. Handwinding is very stiff, not sure should that be the case and could stopping be because of mainspring oiling?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I changed the title slightly as there's more work than changing barrel.

Answering my previous question, you definitely need to clean the barrel and mainspring as they are super dirty when arrived new. I took watch once more apart, gave it a very thorough clean and now it ticks & winds smoothly! Seems to be very accurate, I'm waiting timegrapher to arrive so can see what's really going on.

But anyway, second matter. The current crystal was/ is in very poor condition as you can see.

So I ordered new one. Problem is that these crystals just are not on the shelves anymore so I needed to purchase one with golden tension ring. My master plan is to remove crystal from the tension ring and re-glue it to the original ring.

What is the easiest way to remove crystal and what is the best glue to use?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is super cool. I recently got into vintage, specifically Lord Matics, and I have gravitated to the 5216 specials. I don't think I'm able to answer any of your questions, but if it means anything: the one 5216 that I have also has extremely tough manual winding also, along with the manual winding being engaged while setting the date (even after a service).

I look forward to following the restoration!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts