The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know about the relationship between automatic Lordmatics and Grand Seikos in the early 1970s? I'm looking at at a 5206-6020 that is claimed to be a Grand Seiko (it sppears to have a legitimate GS case and dial, marked "6120R" below the six). However, the only other 5206-6020s I've been able to find are Lordmatics.

Is it possible that the movement and case were used in both GSs and LMs, or am I looking at a (good) Franken?

·
Registered
187 Posts
markrlondon said:
Does anyone know about the relationship between automatic Lordmatics and Grand Seikos in the early 1970s? I'm looking at at a 5206-6020 that is claimed to be a Grand Seiko (it sppears to have a legitimate GS case and dial, marked "6120R" below the six). However, the only other 5206-6020s I've been able to find are Lordmatics.

Is it possible that the movement and case were used in both GSs and LMs, or am I looking at a (good) Franken?

Hi. There is no relation that I'm aware of. The 5206 was a good quality movement that found wide use in mid-range watches like the LM and Presmatic.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this one is most likely to be a Franken. Thanks.

I think I'll skip this one, although it's a nice looking watch overall.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hi, I have the 5216 version with 25J and 2 toned. The 5206/16 models were made in the Daini factory, meant to compete with the Suwa factory. The 52xxs were 28,800bph, auto, handwinding. Very nice watches and not Franken at all! Mine is the faceted version, like some Presmatics of the period (mine is 1974)
I suggest you read up a bit more here...http://seikoandcitizen.blogspot.com/2006/10/collection-part-7-fancy-5000s-presmatic.html

then see Dr Seiko's Seikoholics forum and look at the amazing database on the LordMatics! I forget most of what I had researched on the 52xxs , but they are not actual GS models. Some posts suggest this caliber was the base caliber for the popular 4S15 ....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the detailed info and links. :)

thianwong said:
Very nice watches and not Franken at all!
[...]
I forget most of what I had researched on the 52xxs , but they are not actual GS models.
That's the problem here: The watch I am looking at is claimed to be a GS. It's in what appears to be a GS case and has what appears to be a GS dial but it seems this movement was never sold in a GS.

Thus I think from what you and Seikojohn have said that this particular 'Grand Seiko' is some kind of Franken mix of a movement taken from a LM and mated with a GS case/dial.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I see, then go by your gut instinct...but I would try ask Don Crotty (Ninja1 over at Seikoholics) about it and post a photo if you can for him to see the case and dial you refer to....his knowledge is phenomenal.....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My gut instinct says: "Don't buy it".

It's on eBay. I've just checked the SCWF posting rules and according to Section IV, item 15, I think it probably is acceptable for me to link to the auction since it appears to be a franken. Here it is: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220586122858. Naturally I'll remove the link if a mod objects to it.

thianwong said:
I would try ask Don Crotty (Ninja1 over at Seikoholics) about it and post a photo if you can for him to see the case and dial you refer to....his knowledge is phenomenal.....
Is Seikohoics at http://www.network54.com/Index/93484 ?

·
Registered
187 Posts
markrlondon said:
Many thanks for the detailed info and links. :)

That's the problem here: The watch I am looking at is claimed to be a GS. It's in what appears to be a GS case and has what appears to be a GS dial but it seems this movement was never sold in a GS.

Thus I think from what you and Seikojohn have said that this particular 'Grand Seiko' is some kind of Franken mix of a movement taken from a LM and mated with a GS case/dial.
Good idea unless you are looking for parts and it is cheap.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to finish off this thread, the watch was definitely a franken. There was never a GS with the 5206 movement.

Despite that, it eventually sold for $461,78!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts