The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up one of the 5 Sports reissues from 1997.

It came with the original box, packaging, manual and a sticker.

The watch was NOS and is in great condition as you would expect.

It all looked great but the stem has been snapped and the crown is off.

I assume there is no easy way to extract the piece of stem from the crown and I will need a new one along with a stem.

What are peoples suggestions for getting a new stem and crown?

I think the crown is a 9M50C7SNW0 and the stem is a 0357010.

Will I also need a crown gasket AD017BAA3 or is it easy to move from the original?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Thats a beauty for sure!

I'd search for an original crown + stem. The new crown will come with a gasket.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Good luck finding one, I have been trying to find one for a few years now. you obviously need one with the internal gear to rotate the inner bezel. since you have all the parts maybe try repairing what you have. Apart from that, its a lovely watch you have,always loved the rezor bracelet...........

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
:a102: these are tougher to get but I hope someone from forum will sort it out for you..... BTW beautiful watch (especially the box & stickers !!) hope you will be able to wear it soon !!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the stems are as difficult to source as indicated by Bill, I was thinking of using a stem extender to fix the existing stem.

Does this sound like a plausible idea?

I would still need to remove the piece of stem from the crown. Anyone got any tips for that?

Can anyone definitely confirm both the stem and crown are discontinued?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If the stems are as difficult to source as indicated by Bill, I was thinking of using a stem extender to fix the existing stem.

Does this sound like a plausible idea?

I would still need to remove the piece of stem from the crown. Anyone got any tips for that?

Can anyone definitely confirm both the stem and crown are discontinued?
Check if the stem is stainless. If it's not, soak the crown in an alum/water solution for a few weeks. When done rinse, gently thread a stem in, remove it, and rinse again.

Be careful with a stem extender. If the setup is anything like the 6117 world time watches, and from what I can see it is, a stem extender won't allow the gear to wait for the cogs to line up when the crown is pushed in. This can result in damage to the teeth on the underside of the indicator ring. Check your clearances if you want to try that route.

It may be possible to add a squared portion to a traditional stem using JB Weld or something similar. Wear may become an issue though, as the gear slides along it each time you change stem positions. I'd assume the remaining portion of the stem is still in the watch, so you could get the dimensions there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts