The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I developed an interest into watches about 2 years ago, and since then I have been reading up on the forums a lot. I finally acquired a blue dial Seiko 5, but I am struggling to determine the year of the watch. It is either a 1981 or 1991 model. The details of the watch is as follows:

Front:
Seiko 5 (the 5 is in a red block)
"Made in Japan" at the bottom

Back:
Seiko
Stainless Steel
Water resistant
Japan C Daini logo
7009 - 3101 A1

Your help with the year, and anything else interesting about this watch is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Ras

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
I think 81 is too early - it would still be a 6309 by then. But it doesn't really matter anyway, because the dial is >>>-FAKE-<<< :(

I guess what's inside is open to anyone's guess - does it run fairly well?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think 81 is too early - it would still be a 6309 by then. But it doesn't really matter anyway, because the dial is >>>-FAKE-<<< :(

I guess what's inside is open to anyone's guess - does it run fairly well?
Hi Mr.Jones

I read up on how to spot fake Seiko's now again, and it seems that all Seiko's must have the caliber and dial codes printed at the bottom of the dial (no exceptions).

At least the movement and case doesn't look to be fake, so perhaps only the dial was replaced. That is probably why I couldn't find an example of it online. I quite like the blue dial. I suppose you win or you learn. Here is some pictures of the movement.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Yeah, movement looks to be genuine and in alright condition (no wear to the plates so at least the rotor bearings are not shot).

If you like the dial, don't let my comment deter you - hopefully it keeps the time well enough. The 7009 is a true workhorse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, movement looks to be genuine and in alright condition (no wear to the plates so at least the rotor bearings are not shot).

If you like the dial, don't let my comment deter you - hopefully it keeps the time well enough. The 7009 is a true workhorse.
It keeps time very well, about 20 seconds slower per day. I was looking for a watch with a blue dial, so I probable overlooked the fake signs when I finally found a Seiko 5 exactly the way I wanted it. I will record it in my collection records as a 1991 model (with a fake dial:().

I paid about 50$ for the watch, so considering that only the dial is fake and everyone else looks to be in good order, I am very happy with the purchase. I can always replace the dial with a genuine one if I really want to, but the heart of the watch is a Seiko. So what was the "fake" giveaway, is it because the caliber and dial number wasn't on the dial?

Thank you for your help, really appreciated.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
The Seiko logo. The font is wrong and look at that "O".
On the caseback you have an example of the "correct" logo.

It might well be an original dial that was "refinished" by the second (or third, fourth...) hand peddlers. Strip the markers, repaint, add markers again.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
well hello and welcome to the forum....great to have u with us...sadly what u have is a fake dialed one....these are quite common...i see these refinished ones quite often not sure why there is so many out there....u can find parts watches and get yours back original again...God Bless,John...

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Seiko logo. The font is wrong and look at that "O".
On the caseback you have an example of the "correct" logo.

It might well be an original dial that was "refinished" by the second (or third, fourth...) hand peddlers. Strip the markers, repaint, add markers again.
The "Seiko" font is so far off as to not even emulate the genuine article reasonably, but then I'm staring at fonts all day, so to my eye it's glaring.

There are NOS 7009 dials available that would fit this case. Repainting seems like a major hassle, but that's just me. A sterile dial might look OK, however.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
MY "strip the markers..." comment was meant to explain the modus operandi of the peddlers, not a call to action to "save" the dial. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts