The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear All, friends of the forum,
I am recently having problems with my seiko 4205 which shows the second hand going irregularly especially when it goes on its own weight.

There's a nice video on youtube, I cannot post since my few posts published but i can be easily found searching "seiko 4205 second hand stuttering"

Now different watch makers I contacted told me that without spares it cannot be fixed.

Surfing the web, I found that the SII NH05 might be a perfect movement swap option.

Do any of you have experience in swapping the movement with a NH05, my main concerns are if the original movement spacer/case holder, the dial, hands and crown would fit in.

Thanks in advance to any that could help me.

Stefano

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This thread has a lot of information on the swap: .................................
Thanks, I already went through that thread but it is not clealry reported that the dial, stem and the movement case holder ring would perfectly fit or some work around are needed though...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I think I looked into this sort of swap a while ago too. If I remember rightly, the NH05 is missing a couple of screw holes you need - for fixing the movement to the movement ring or dial ring or something. Sorry, the details are vague.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I looked into this sort of swap a while ago too. If I remember rightly, the NH05 is missing a couple of screw holes you need - for fixing the movement to the movement ring or dial ring or something. Sorry, the details are vague.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, that is exaclty what I would like to know that is not reported in any threads I found.
BTW I see no screws in the original 4205 movement that seems to be locked into the case just by a metallic spacer.....

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
A quote form 7s26b about the stutter problem...may help to increase tension.

There's a small leaf spring that sits on the end of the second wheel pinion - make sure it's sitting correctly, a small tweak to the spring may increase friction, and stop the stutter.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've done this on a couple of 4205 divers. The reason you don't see any screws holding the movement is that they are probably broken off and floating around in the movement.

The NH05 has smooth holes instead of tapped holes. I'm only an amateur but my watch is working and don't really see any problems with the movement not being held down by the screws. Hands, dial spacer, stem, everything fits.

I've tried to service a couple of 4205s. They are very cheaply made and hard to work on. The ones I've worked on were not working to begin with so getting them to tick at all was a miracle. Adjusting the tension on the seconds hand is part of the service. It may be time.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
The 4205 is still readily available and relatively affordable. I don't see why you would not want to replace it with the stock movement. You can find donor dress watches in good running condition for around $40, working movements alone even cheaper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 4205 is still readily available and relatively affordable. I don't see why you would not want to replace it with the stock movement. You can find donor dress watches in good running condition for around $40, working movements alone even cheaper.
Actually I was looking for new 4205b movements with no success.
I also checked PERRIN in Canada but they don's have in stock anymore.
Do you know any sellers on the web?
Buying a donor might bring movements with the same defect.
Moreover, it is true that the NH05 would lead to impair the originality of the watch, neverthless it seems to bring improvements like larger rotor -> more efficient winding + hacking in addition to hand-winding.
Cheers
Stefano

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've done this on a couple of 4205 divers. The reason you don't see any screws holding the movement is that they are probably broken off and floating around in the movement.

The NH05 has smooth holes instead of tapped holes. I'm only an amateur but my watch is working and don't really see any problems with the movement not being held down by the screws. Hands, dial spacer, stem, everything fits.

I've tried to service a couple of 4205s. They are very cheaply made and hard to work on. The ones I've worked on were not working to begin with so getting them to tick at all was a miracle. Adjusting the tension on the seconds hand is part of the service. It may be time.
Thanks....it seems then that I will not have any problems with the movement swap!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts