The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

This is my first post on this forum !
I'm Clément, living in Paris (France) and pretty new with Seikos. I own a few digitals from the 70s/80s and now I've just aquired an average condition 4205-0150 (Midsize diver, black bezel).

I love old school seiko divers and chronographs (like the 6105, bullheads or so) but they don't fit my wrist :eek:. Thus my love for this little one.

I'm creating this message today to get your opinion on the cost of the restoration of my 4205.

It's not working properly :
- the reserve is very short (approx 1 hour and a half when fully rewinded with the crown and shaken for a few minutes). The consequence is also that during the day, even when wearing it at work it stops when I'm on my workdesk. As a result I can't really say if it's keeping time correctly.
- changing date with the crown is also not working, I have to use the time change position of the crown to set it.

Also, it has a few scratches, the dial & hands are a little dirty and the date digits are sometimes almost invisible. But this I can live with.

I'm not an expert but I beleive it has to be completely dismounted, cleaned and serviced to work again.

Cosmetic operations apart (case polishing, glass changing, ...), what in your opinion could be the cost of such operations ? Is it more like 50 $, 100 $ or 300 $ ?

Thank you all !

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hi Clement - welcome to the forum!

Can you put up a picture of your watch for us to see! We all like pics ;)

I'm sure you'll get some great advice here...let's see what gets offered up and where it takes you!

Sounds like you are on the smaller side of wrist like myself - we'll to be honest I thought these big old watches wouldn't suit me but actually I think they are SUPERB! Have you tried a Bullhead.....!?

I can fix this for you, but I know many others can too, so see what offers you get. I have (used)spare parts for these 4205s so at least let me know if you need anything along your journey.

Kind regards,
Tom

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey Tom !

Thanks a lot for the quick and kind answer. I do have some pictures, but they were hastely taken and not quite as good as I can do (haha). More seriously, I can't post photos yet, I'm too newbie on this forum to do so (you need 5 posts).

I can't take new photos at the moment because I droped the watch at a local watchmaker to get a cost estimate.

I've decided to post here because I'm not 100% confident with the way the guy handled my watch : He did not even ask me what I wanted to do with it.
He just told me "come back tuesday to know the cost of the operation". He assumed I wanted to make it waterproof again. I had to tell him "please check the crown & the calendar, the reserve mechanism and the time keeping capabilities.".

Tom, I'll follow you advices and maybe try to find a 6138 :)
SeikoKid knows I can't resist very long !

If you know how to service it, it would be my pleasure to send it in england. Would you be abble to change the glass and the black bezel insert also ?
I can buy spare parts on ebay and send them with the watch.

Let see what other seiko-holic have to say.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SeikoKid, someday we should get a beer or something.

Maybe one time you'll be in Paris, or I may go to England one day.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Sometimes it's easier to buy a much later 4205/6/7 dress watch, and swap the movements over. The 4205 divers movements will be quite well worn out by now. The TMI NH05 and NH06 are the same movement, but with design improvements - so you could buy a brand new one to swap.

·
Registered
912 Posts
This is Clements watch in question

T'S not looking so bad! Bezel insert already in this one?! Dial looks good too - is that original? Hands should buff off a little bit better than that and can't really comment on the case - it depends how you like it, buffed and polished or bags of lovely vintage character!
I haven't looked into replacement crystals for these, I just polish them to be honest.

Personally I shouldn't have thought there is anything too wrong with that movement with bags of life left in it.....JMHO. I hear what your saying with regards to the date adjust, I'll have a check later but I think I have about 4 or 5 of these waiting at the back of the queue to be sorted out...

T

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dial is Ok but the luminescence is very low, and you can't see it on the picture but it's a bit dirty. The hands are also dirty, even corroded maybe. I think the dial is an original. I really don't have much infos about that as the dude I got it in a lot at a local auction.

The bezel insert is worn on the upper right as you can see on the pictures. I'd like a new one, but no pepsi :)

The glass is Ok except from scratches on the middle which are a little annoying when reading the time and a bump on the lower right side. Polishing should be very fine.

The case is ok, I looks scratched on the photo but it's only because I set the "contrast/clarity" in the photo software so the movement details are clearly visible.

The calendar days have almost disappear from 10 to 31 :) don't know why the lower 10 are better. Maybe because they are the only days in the month where I have money !

Overall it looks very nice. It's main problem is the mechanical reserve and the time keeping accuracy :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
7s26b> Thank you, this is also good infos. I did not even knew they had reused the movement on dress watches.
I'll take a look.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got one of these for my wife but it got the shutter second hands issue unfortunately.
Did you take the small or midsize ?
What is the shutter second hands issue, is it when the second hands are stucked ?

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I got one of these for my wife but it got the shutter second hands issue unfortunately.
There's a small leaf spring that sits on the end of the second wheel pinion - make sure it's sitting correctly, a small tweak to the spring may increase friction, and stop the stutter.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only difference may be the height of the cannon pinion etc- eg the hand height. If this is an issue, the parts could be swapped over. But the movement is a direct fit into the case. 4206 has day/date.
This may be a cheap alternative to an original 4205 movement.
Once again this is very good infos, thank you. :nicetopic:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
There's a small leaf spring that sits on the end of the second wheel pinion - make sure it's sitting correctly, a small tweak to the spring may increase friction, and stop the stutter.
Thanks, 7S26b for the advise.
These 4205 are dman small.... do i have to remove the bridge to correct it ?

i'll try to correct it when i have some free day.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Thanks, 7S26b for the advise.
These 4205 are dman small.... do i have to remove the bridge to correct it ?

i'll try to correct it when i have some free day.
Just remove the automatic winding assembly - you can see the end of the spring and it's screw in the movement pic, look at the balance wheel pivot - go left and very slightly down from the pivot and you can see a screw with a dark grey flat spring and a peg sticking up through it.:grin: Try downloading the NH05 tech guide from here http://www.timemodule.com/sii/eng/download.php as it's clearer than the 4205 pdf.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts