The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to buy a second bellmatic 4005 model, but i dont find any on the internet to buy. (except 1 ugly model 500 euro )
Can i take the conclusion that the 4005 models (date only) are rare of even extremely rare to find, so are collectionable??

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Yup. They don't come up that often.

And don't call that model ugly! It's the only 4005 I own! :grin:
(not the one on eBay)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think these are the most common of the rare variants. Looking through ebay history, there have been four sold in the last 6 weeks. The one I see on ebay just now is in America, one like m4uro's, is that the one? I think that's one of the nicest watches ever, great design. That particular one on ebay looks like it has been refinished quite well, except it has suffered bad corrosion to the case before being refinished and is still a problem on the case back seal face. The dial shows signs of oxidation too, so I wouldn't be surprised if parts had been replaced where visible, so they can ask the high price. I don't think its a good idea to spend a lot of money on a bellmatic unless the back seal face is good. If its not sealed it will continue to corrode when you wear it because moisture and sweat gets inside. If you are paying big money, check the dial carefully, because that's a great indicator to show if moisture has got inside. Doesn't mean a bellmatic with signs of corrosion is worthless or won't last another 50 years, but just not worth the big money people seem to be asking.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I’ve got quite a nice 4005, even has an original case finish. Actually got it off eBay in a job lot from Italy (I think it was) Was strange, I’d seen this exact model with the grey dial on a blog and fell in love. Literally a couple of weeks later I stumbled across this one. Was just amongst a load of other watches in the lot. Crystal was scratched but managed to get a NOS one.

Quite fun to service too, quite a lot going on under that dial.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Your grey sunburst dial looks great, wish I had one. I think they only did the grey sunburst and blue dials with those hour markers. Never seen a grey one for sale, they might be a bit less common. The dial looks very deco in styling.
I have a blue one I also kept in its original condition, and I wore it every day. it stopped working after a year or so and I think its the just the main spring has broken. must get round to fixing it and start wearing it again. The advantage to keeping the original finish is you can wear it every day and not worry.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,394 Posts
I’ve got quite a nice 4005, even has an original case finish. Actually got it off eBay in a job lot from Italy (I think it was) Was strange, I’d seen this exact model with the grey dial on a blog and fell in love. Literally a couple of weeks later I stumbled across this one. Was just amongst a load of other watches in the lot. Crystal was scratched but managed to get a NOS one.

Quite fun to service too, quite a lot going on under that dial.
Looks great, especially on that Tropic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I swear I see them popped up in my local Craigslist from time to time but never caught my attention.
I just checked now and there is one for sale now. Maybe I should look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can still get them a good $...the problem is that most will come from India... with unknown history...and that's when it becomes a gamble.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 6 Bells all together. Two 4005 and four 4006. I am still looking for the black dial 17j . Have not seen any that I like so far. I am a Bell nut 😁

1 - 20 of 20 Posts