The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my first post, so apologies if this is the wrong place to post this!

I found my dad's silver Seiko 4004 0903-7019 languishing in a drawer. I remember him wearing it when I was a kid, so I asked if it still ran. He said no, it's been dead for years (many, many years!). He'd taken it to a jewellers and they said it would cost a fair percentage of the original price to fix it, so he hadn't bothered.

Anyway I asked if I could try to get it running again. It turns out those jewellers were crooks - it just needed a new battery! It seems to be running like a champ already, the 3-language day and date dials all work fine - the date ticks over at midnight, and it clicks to the English day at 2:40am, which has it's own peculiar charm!

But it has lived a bit of a hard life. Although the case is in decent condition, it definitely needs new glass - it's very scratched. And the original silver metal bracelet broke and was replaced with a leather strap - so I'd like to find a replacement that's at least close to the original.

Could any of you point me at somewhere where I could find these two parts, if they're still available anywhere?

The case is, as I say, in pretty good condition, but should I polish it to get rid of the light scratches that are there, or should it be left as-is? I presume it originally had a satin finish, if I took some Duraglit to it, would that spoil it?

Any help much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Mine says hey:

These watches arent very expensive so maybe your best bet for a new bracelet would just be a whole watch. It has a rather special bracelet that isnt seen on many (if any) other models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine says hey:

These watches arent very expensive so maybe your best bet for a new bracelet would just be a whole watch. It has a rather special bracelet that isnt seen on many (if any) other models.
Nice :) My father's has the white dial instead

I'll keep an eye on eBay then... if I find an 18mm strap / bracelet from a different model, will it still fit? (Is there anything weird about the fitment?)

·
Administrator
33,980 Posts
Hi, hopefully JohnD will see your post and give you his thoughts, he is the expert on the 4004s :)

ps: Often OEM vintage bracelets cost more than a watch and are harder to find !!

·
Special Member
2,431 Posts
The glass should be easy, I've replaced 3 or 4 with generic replacements from cousins that cost about 50p each.

We need pics for the bracelet though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Andy

KoeKoek's picture is of the same case and (if my memory serves me) the correct bracelet.
I've found an eBay seller who lives in my home town, who is selling 80's Seiko bracelets. If I can't find an original, one of those will still look good, so this is going well!

Can you let me know which part number I'd need to order from Cousins?
:edit: oh, hang on I just found a pic posted on the forum... 299x1.5mm yay :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, that's strange, I definitely recognise that bracelet on yours... Maybe I had the same design on one of my old watches. Anyway the simpler design is good news, it should be straightforward to find something like that, I think

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The glass should be easy, I've replaced 3 or 4 with generic replacements from cousins that cost about 50p each.
Should I order a gasket? I've got no idea what size or type I'd need :( Or will the one already in the watch survive me taking it apart? (This'd be my first time, so maybe I'll get a professional to do it for me)

·
Special Member
2,431 Posts
I didn't bother replacing the gasket, the glasses held fine on the old ones and it's not like it's ever going near water anyway.

Replacing crystals is a good beginner DIY job but you will need a crystal press and dies to do it.

What's the lug width for the bracelet?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I didn't bother replacing the gasket, the glasses held fine on the old ones and it's not like it's ever going near water anyway.

Replacing crystals is a good beginner DIY job but you will need a crystal press and dies to do it.

What's the lug width for the bracelet?
The case construction is not very straight forward because you cant open the back. So you need a device to get the crystal off as well.

The lug width is 18mm.

·
Special Member
2,431 Posts
The case construction is not very straight forward because you cant open the back. So you need a device to get the crystal off as well.

The lug width is 18mm.

I didn't realise it was a front loader, I've got 3-4 4004 but they all have case backs. That's slightly more complicated then!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't realise it was a front loader, I've got 3-4 4004 but they all have case backs. That's slightly more complicated then!
Arghhh... that sounds like a job I don't fancy! I've already ordered some micro-mesh to polish the case, maybe I'll just try to clean up the existing crystal in-situ?

Yes that does - do I need the end-piece to look like that? or should i look for one with squarer end links?

I've not got a spring bar yet so I've not taken the existing leather strap off, so I also ordered a cheap watch-repairer's toolkit off Amazon.

Thanks for all your replies so far, very helpful!
:c017:

·
Special Member
2,431 Posts
Something worth thinking about before you take tools to a watch you like - you might want to buy a cheap job lot off eBay and practice on them first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Right, I've had a go at cleaning the crystal with micro-mesh, but the scratches are just too deep, and the coarsest grade mesh I have doesn't seem to make a difference. So it's time for a replacement crystal.
A local watch repairers quoted me £30 to do the work, so I'm still keen on having a go myself (unless that's actually quite reasonable?)

I've received my cheapo watch tool kit from ebay, removed the strap, and generally cleaned all the gunk out of the recesses and joins on the watch.
I can now see there's a small indent in part of the bezel, so presumably I can take that off (as per these instructions: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/how-remove-bezel-seiko-4004-a-273115.html )

I'm about to order a new crystal from Cousins: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/150mm-cousins?code=F150CMH299
Am i going to need to buy a crystal press (off eBay) too? I see they start at £7 but would it likely have a die that would do the job?

·
Special Member
2,431 Posts
Yes you're going to need a press, look for one that has a selection of dies with it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Right, I've had a go at cleaning the crystal with micro-mesh, but the scratches are just too deep, and the coarsest grade mesh I have doesn't seem to make a difference.
To polish scratches on a crystal you need a rotary tool, wet paper 600 grit, and then finish with diamond paste. In some cases diamond paste alone is enough. On Aliexpress, cost $3 for two assorted tubes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well some good news, some bad news...

I actually found an exact replacement part from Cousins, by typing the case number into the search...

"Seiko Glass 310W28GN00" 1.5mm x 31.0mm

I got the bezel and the existing crystal off, leaving a white/grey grommet still in-situ.
I received the new crystal from Cousins (£16 inc parcel post).
I found out my colleague has a crystal press (the common cheap eBay one), and borrowed it off him.

I put the whole thing together, and with some careful use of the press around the edges (I only had one pair of dies, and they wouldn't accommodate the battery bulge) I got the bezel to click into place.

Success!!!

Except... damn it, the crystal can move horizontally around within the bezel. Obviously there's very little movement (maybe .25mm?), but enough that I can hear it hitting the inside of the bezel when I push the crystal sideways. Which means it's not going to keep any moisture out.

I didn't compare the new one to the old one before I fitted it... I'll be taking it apart again tonight and I'll do that, but I guess either the diameter is very slightly smaller, or the profile of the bevel is different.

Would it be worth making a thin strip of PTFE tape and inserting that inside the bezel?
Or should I be using a different crystal?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts