The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shared this on my Instagram page this morning, but thought it was worth as share here as well.

Here is a project watch that I have been waiting to share for a long time. Seiko 3823-7010 VFA Quartz.

Read on at your own risk:

I bought the dial and Case from a watchmaker friend of mine, both were new old stock and had never seen the light of day. My intention initially was to sell them, but when I had no biters I simply put them back in the project drawer. A note here: I was able to find many pics of 3823 watches with the green/black dial shown, however none of them had the VFA script print on them like this watch shown. I have never been able to find another example of it? (??)

About a year later I was able to buy a donor movement, if you look at my posts you’ll find it - it was the salmon dial 3823.

I held onto that watch for the better part of the year before I finally brought them both (NOS dial and case + donor) back to the watchmaker that I had originally bought the case and dial from. The issue was the handset & the bracelet - I hadn’t either and was not having any luck tracking them down for at least a year.

Somehow he found a hand said that was spot on to the original parts, I am not exactly sure where he stole them from but we know how to work and watch!

I have never been a strap-hound, typically prefer to buy one off and or use some of my stock of Seiko original parts especially if I am planning to keep the watch. However, I had been following an Instagrammer called @pepper.strap for a while and I remember seeing a very cool green crocodile strap that he had made. I had reached out to him in the past but I reached out to him and sent him some pictures of this specific watch to see what he could come up with.

Because of the hidden lugs, the watch strap would have to have a step in it so it would be 16 mm at the lugs but show 20 mm coming out of the watch. He put his expert spin on it and came up with the awesome gold stitching to match the gold in the Dial and Case and I don’t think I’ve seen a prettier watch project of mine come to fruition the way that this one has (thank you Pepper Strap!!).

From a dial and case I was going to sell to one of the best looking, most unique in my collection. Not saying it’ll stay there 😜, but it is for now.

Really felt good to finish this one properly as it deserved! Let me know what you think.

JR

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Very cool my friend
I would love to see that salmon dial u had too
Where do u find these beauties
Stay safe out there my dear friend
God Bless,John
Never seen anything like this
Thank u so much for sharing it with us
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Lovely looking watch, I'm a big fan of real croc straps on vintage Seiko watches :cool: (I get mine direct from a small manufacturer in Vietnam). What does puzzle me though, about the watch, is what is stamped on the back..... The serial number, surely 1975 is too late for a factory supplied 38 series VFA watch, or were Seiko making replacement GP cases, for the VFA watches after production of the 38 series watches stopped? I can't find any pictures in Seiko JDM catalogues of 1974 or 1975 of your exact watch, though the stainless version does appear in the first 1974 catalogue, but with a plain dial...

They weren't cheap were they?
My nearest is this 3862-7010, from November 1973......

And as seen in the 1974 JDM catalogue.........

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool my friend
I would love to see that salmon dial u had too
Where do u find these beauties
Stay safe out there my dear friend
God Bless,John
Never seen anything like this
Thank u so much for sharing it with us
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
John,

The Salmon dial is the one I sent to you on tapatalk (here is the pic). I have been very fortunate to make friends with a watchmaker - if you are in this hobby I highly recommend it! He showed it to me and asked if I could sell it for him. I tried, with no bites so he said, "why don't you just buy it." He gave me a great deal (like always) so I did and put it in my projects to be finished later. Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut (just got really lucky with this one).

Thanks,

JR

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@John_D I have been chasing this around for close to a couple of years now. I am no Seiko expert, just a Seiko lover flipper and collector. I've scoured the sites that I am aware of and have not been able to find this specific dial in any pics or references. The case is strange to me too - it doesn't appear to be gold plated or it would reference GP on the back (correct?) - and I've looked at the catalogs with similar result as yours. I think I have a pic of the back of the dial itself, let me chase it down and see if it sheds any light on it.

If you find out anything on your end, please let me know. It is a mystery, but very happy to have it!

Your 3862 is a beauty - this one exposed me to some higher end Seiko quartz & I have been adding them to my chase ever since!

JR

Lovely looking watch, I'm a big fan of real croc straps on vintage Seiko watches :cool: (I get mine direct from a small manufacturer in Vietnam). What does puzzle me though, about the watch, is what is stamped on the back..... The serial number, surely 1975 is too late for a factory supplied 38 series VFA watch, or were Seiko making replacement GP cases, for the VFA watches after production of the 38 series watches stopped? I can't find any pictures in Seiko JDM catalogues of 1974 or 1975 of your exact watch, though the stainless version does appear in the first 1974 catalogue, but with a plain dial...
View attachment 462221
They weren't cheap were they?
My nearest is this 3862-7010, from November 1973......
View attachment 462222
And as seen in the 1974 JDM catalogue.........
View attachment 462223

1 - 6 of 6 Posts