The Watch Site banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumbled across a Seiko 14kt gold watch. Anyone know much about these? Or their worth? The photos shown are close to what the watch looks like (borrowed from an ebay auction). On the back of the case it says "7N01 6869."

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I'm just taking a guess here after some reading I did for a gold filled pocket watch I have.

I think the 0.585 refers to the percentage gold composition (58.5%), which is the same as 14K. Similar to Sterling silver being 92.5% silver composition.

If it was gold filled/rolled, there should be some stamping to identify this as filled is still regulated. Since there isn't a stamp that I see, I would just assume this is plated. Unless the box with the dome over the numbers is the symbol, but I was expecting a simple GF, if the watch is as modern as I think it is. Vintage gold filled will use symbols like an balance or hourglass to designate the gold filled as well as the thickness of gold.

I had a couple of quartz Seikos with a similar cabochron crown only a few years ago and I think there are still some models in current production that use it so this model might not be very old.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great information! They have it listed for $300, so I don't know if it's worth that much. Any opinion?? Would this be a collectable piece for the future?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I think some of true collectors would know better about the watch, but even it if was gold filled, $300 seems overpriced. I mean gold filled obviously has more gold but not THAT much more. The watch itself doesn't seem exceptional or collectible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts