The Watch Site banner

Leather Ostrich strap or the original stainless steel?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Special Member
15,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All - thought I'd try my hand at a poll.

I picked-up a sweet mid-70s Seiko Quartz watch. It has the original SS bracelet but I also have a genuine ostrich leather strap ... both look great I think.

What are your thoughts? Go all original or dress it up a little with leather?

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Everyday carry Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Everyday carry Clock

Reactions: Seiko7A38

·
Special Member
15,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reactions: NWDiverWatch62

·
Special Member
2,633 Posts
Leather looks fantastic Mike. But the bracelet does look awesome too… I think I would make it depend on my mood when wearing it. Vera nice watch!

·
Premium Member
and Cognoscente ... 15J Quartz Chrono's
1,857 Posts
I also have a genuine ostrich leather strap ... both look great I think.
View attachment 477850
Not wishing to come across as too pedantic, Mike, but I need to correct your terminology.
That's not 'Ostrich' per se (skin with quill marks), but Ostrich Leg (which is quite different).
I'm a big fan of both, but prefer 'Leg'. ;)
What are your thoughts?
Personally I think it's best suited to dressy watches. Here's a couple of my Yema N81W53's.

Works pretty well on your 0903-5019 though. (y) ;)

·
Premium Member
and Cognoscente ... 15J Quartz Chrono's
1,857 Posts
Incidentally, both those N81W53's came fitted with their correct original Yema leather straps, which I considered too bland. Ostrich Leg is an unusual grain pattern. At first glance (as shown by both our photos), it could be mistaken for Lizard. Here's the WatchBandCenter images where I bought mine (this 19mm Barington strap now discontinued):

It gets more interesting around the middle of the strap sections that you don't normally see.

·
Special Member
15,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Incidentally, both those N81W53's came fitted with their correct original Yema leather straps, which I considered too bland. Ostrich Leg is an unusual grain pattern. At first glance (as shown by both our photos), it could be mistaken for Lizard. Here's the WatchBandCenter images where I bought mine (this 19mm Barington strap now discontinued):
View attachment 477856 View attachment 477857
It gets more interesting around the middle of the strap sections that you don't normally see.
Thanks! I hear you about "bland" leather. I like something with a little bit extra. Lizard, ostrich LEG, etc. make for a nice change IMO.

·
Special Member
15,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not wishing to come across as too pedantic, Mike, but I need to correct your terminology.
That's not 'Ostrich' per se (skin with quill marks), but Ostrich Leg (which is quite different).
I'm a big fan of both, but prefer 'Leg'. ;)

Personally I think it's best suited to dressy watches. Here's a couple of my Yema N81W53's.
View attachment 477853 View attachment 477854
Works pretty well on your 0903-5019 though. (y) ;)
Beautiful. Leather with the gold trim is classic. (y)

·
Special Member
7,861 Posts
I voted Leather because of the non-taper bold look, it transforms the watch into a beautiful dress watch.

That said I like the stainless steel knowing it is the OEM bracelet but it somehow looks dated while the leather makes it appear to be a modern issue.

You can't go wrong in this case Mike !

·
Special Member
15,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I voted Leather because of the non-taper bold look, it transforms the watch into a beautiful dress watch.

That said I like the stainless steel knowing it is the OEM bracelet but it somehow looks dated while the leather makes it appear to be a modern issue.

You can't go wrong in this case Mike !
I agree Jon - thanks!

·
Special Member
1,644 Posts
"Dressing" being what is is these days, i thimk that bracelet is "dressy" enough
for pretty much any occasion, and the leather would look fine with anything,
for me this becomes more of a summer/winter spllit, and i dress for comfort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts