The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

The watch in question is a vintage Doxa SUB 300T (orange dial) I recently picked up. I know it's not Japanese but I did post over on WUS in the Doxa forum without getting much of a response (perhaps because I'm new over there? Who knows). It's an issue that could be seen in any watch so I thought I throw it out to my friendly brethren over here ;)

It's a fairly honest unmolested example except it has some weirdness with the case back that I'd appreciated advice on. Basically it doesn't sit square to the case leaving a gap on the side opposite the crown (see pics below). It screws in easily, there is no evidence of cross threading and the back is not bent (I tried another case back from a friend's Doxa and it sits the same).

My watchmaker claims he has seen this before on Rolex's and felt it was a manufacturing defect (i.e. case not threaded perfectly square) that would not compromise water proof-ness with the correct gasket (if I can find one....they sure are thick!). But I am not convinced it will pass a pressure test. True I don't use many of my vintage diver's in the water (except my 6309) but they have all passed pressure tests....there's definitely peace of mind knowing they are capable of performing their intended function.

Has anyone else come across something like this?

I contacted the seller who was totally cool claiming that he had not noticed the problem but offered a refund. The watch is otherwise in decent shape. Clean dial, hands and movement. Sharp case with expected blemishes for age.

Obviously such a defect doesn't affect the timekeeping of the piece but I'm wondering if it will have an impact on it's value should I want to later sell?

So what to do? Keep it and get on with it? Or cut my losses and send it back for a full refund? (btw I paid what I consider fair market value....no smoking' deal).

I would be interested in what others think.

Cheers

IMG_7257.jpg IMG_7255.jpg

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
well it looks like maybe there might be something in the way to seal it tight...maybe the seal got pinched in install?..have you had the case back off?...i really love that model of watch

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Almost looks like it's been cross threaded Jonathan but if you checked another case back and it sat the same then I would lean toward a manufacturer defect.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost looks like it's been cross threaded Jonathan but if you checked another case back and it sat the same then I would lean toward a manufacturer defect.
That's what I thought initially too Tom but the threads look good, it screws on/off easily and as you mentioned a case back from another Doxa sat the same. I think you are correct that it is a manufacture defect.

So what would you do? Keep the watch or send it back?

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I really doubt he's seen this before on a Rolex. When it comes to the manufacturing and machining they are spot-on perfect every time. They don't leave the factory without inspections and the authorized jewelers are all very critical when they bring them into inventory and at time of sale.

That makes me think he's not credible.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I can't confirm the credibility of his Rolex comment but I can't see another explanation for this DOXA.

2 different case backs sit the same so the fault lies with the case. Simply the case threads are not quite square to the case. There's no evidence of cross threading or tampering so I assume it left the factory that way.

Certainly manufacturing tolerances in other industries in the 70's were a bit slack i.e. automotive (I own a couple cars from the period) so it seems feasible that defects slipped through.

A 'Friday' watch perhaps?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Possible that the case back and front faces are not square/parallel, the case front would have been used as a location datum in the jig when the case was threaded, so would expect the case thread to be square to that. Any variation on case thickness would be easy enough to check with a micrometer/digital calliper, you would be looking for between 5 & 10 thou of an inch. If this is the case, then it could be rectified.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
That's what I thought initially too Tom but the threads look good, it screws on/off easily and as you mentioned a case back from another Doxa sat the same. I think you are correct that it is a manufacture defect.

So what would you do? Keep the watch or send it back?
Well, That's a Pricey watch. One I'd surely like to own. If I had received it after spending a small fortune I'd be disappointed and would have to seriously consider returning it. Then I would continue the hunt for a replacement without this issue.

In the future, this issue will hamper any possible sale affecting the value, should you decide to move it on.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If a second case back sits off too then it points to the case itself should it actually be thread related, which perhaps was not seated/held square as the threads were cut.
If so, using a magnifier, can you not see by looking around the whole circumerence that the thread sits higher one side versus the other?
You'd probably only need half a millimeter slip to make a visible difference.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I own a Doxa 1200T, and I'm not impressed with their quality control at all..The hands on my watch don't have an even coating of paint on them.....not impressive, but I like Doxas anyhow!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts