The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With few exceptions, I haven't seen a modded watch that wowed me to the point of buying one. For one thing, I'm not a huge fan of aftermarket dials and bezel inserts because I feel like the combination ends up lacking a certain coherence usually seen in Seiko's old dive watches.

Nonetheless, I've ended up with a spare 6309-7040 that I'm considering using as the basis for a fun project. The issue I have is that I'm so overwhelmed by the sheer amount of aftermarket parts available (and the poor quality of many AM parts). Even as it stands, I'm working to restore my birth year and month 6309 to all original status, which means that buying an aftermarket insert just doesn't feel right.

So, the parts I have are:
  • Complete 6309-7040 case, caseback, and gaskets.
  • 6R15 movement
  • Original 6309 hands in need of restoration
  • Cracked bezel
  • Bent bezel insert
Obviously, the 6R15 is what has encouraged me to take on something like this. Where I need input is on these issues:

1. Bezel - Are there any decent AM bezels that will fit? Possibly a coin edge bezel?
  2. Insert - Obviously something to suit the dial, possibly with lumed numbers? (Ideally I'd have just gone with an AM replacement, but Harold no longer stocks the slanted inserts that really looked decent -- sad day :undecided: )
  3. Dial - I'd prefer something OEM Seiko that I could conceivably buy from [email protected] I just don't see any AM dials that move me.
  4. Hands?
  5. Chapter ring?
I know myself well and if I half-ass a project like this, I'll sink money into it and never wear the damn thing. I'm just trying to really put forth some effort toward a watch I'll enjoy.

·
Administrator
30,125 Posts
Wow Jason !!!!!:)

The OEM parts you need are really quite easy to get if you spend a few dollars so why not just make it using original parts :)

I think your overly worrying a pretty simple restoration :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow Jason !!!!!:)

The OEM parts you need are really quite easy to get if you spend a few dollars so why not just make it using original parts :)

I think your overly worrying a pretty simple restoration :)
I should have clarified that I have two 6309s. One will be 100% original and that's the one that I can't bear to put aftermarket parts on. The other will be the basis for this project.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can always go down the tuna style mod road.

Rob should still be able to get the dial and hands.
Plus blue sapphire crystal and bezel insert from yobokies.

Others have similar mods with different hands and bezels.

I still wear mine alot.
This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking at doing, albeit with (possibly) a SRP043K dial (or similar). Out of curiosity, is that the "normal" yobokies insert that he sells?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
He does both a 'new' and 'aged' lume pip if you're trying to match aged hands. Perhaps if we all email him he might recreate the slanted bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Iagree with you about most mods. A scarce few when I view them make me think wow that's something Seiko should have build. Like you I think the watch should have a flow to it. In other words it should look like a watch that Seiko could have possible built.
I love the idea of the movement upgrade because you intend to wear this watch a lot. Movement quality have improved so drastically when it comes to Seiko movements a newer more accurate upgrade for a daily wearer is smart money if your going to do a mod.
Don't shy away just because a part you like is not going to just drop into place. There are so many things that can be done to make parts fit. Lets use dials as an example. You find a dial that suits your taste but the pins are in the wrong place. Well get some measurements and send the dial out and have the pins relocated. Day wheel you want to use is clocked wrong. Do some research for interchangeability or try shifting the wheel on the gear. Nothing is impossible with the knowledge and resources of the members here. Don't settle for anything if it not exactly what you want.

Michael

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mr C- Variation on a theme is one of the most used devices in classical and folk and even pop music. With this in mind, there are many ways to re-style or mod the Seiko of your choice.And
Yes,thinking,drawing,imagining, and finally choosing the 'Mod' that pleases you best, is very hard work.That's what you must do,first imagine,then execute or try to make you vision come to being. Good luck on you goal! On my own 6309 7040- I love the dial as is but the Wabi had to go away,I had the dial relumed and selected Samurai hands-and this pleased me after cleaning & service by local watchmaker. -Remember to please only you -you are #1 ! Don't forget 10 Watches and Ofrei,among others, for parts and best wishes on your quest ! Sometimes more,sometimes less-You decide,always -Good luck ! -Eli-

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Mr C- Variation on a theme is one of the most used devices in classical and folk and even pop music. With this in mind, there are many ways to re-style or mod the Seiko of your choice.And
Yes,thinking,drawing,imagining, and finally choosing the 'Mod' that pleases you best, is very hard work.That's what you must do,first imagine,then execute or try to make you vision come to being. Good luck on you goal! On my own 6309 7040- I love the dial as is but the Wabi had to go away,I had the dial relumed and selected Samurai hands-and this pleased me after cleaning & service by local watchmaker. -Remember to please only you -you are #1 ! Don't forget 10 Watches and Ofrei,among others, for parts and best wishes on your quest ! Sometimes more,sometimes less-You decide,always -Good luck ! -Eli-
That is the most important thing do what pleases YOU! My whole life I have purposefully gone left when everyone was going right. If everyone was going up I made it a point to go down. basically I don't want the same stuff other people have and I do not care of no one else likes what I like. Find your own style and own it. You have a picture in your head I bet of exactly what you want the watch to look like. Don't stop until you have it exactly the way you want the watch to be.

Michael

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
hey what i am doing building this Swedefreak TST...is looking at all the other models seiko made...there are some amazing dials and hands out there ...why use aftermarket when you can use Genuine Seiko...and how cool it is to remake a previous design..like if Seiko had the designers mix it up a little..and for me...a 6309 is not 100% without a genuine 6105 crystal in it...there is just something about a domed crystal...just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Basically don't follow the heard (unless it suits YOU) but rather follow your heart, thats my MO and I try to stick to it :)
Totally agree, I am doing my hobby for myself and do whatever I do to make myself happy, if anyone else likes it that's a bonus.

If you don't ultimately you will fail.

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
That would be great. I would love to own a really nice original looking 6309-7040 with a modern 6R15 movement. Maybe someone will build one for me?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great sentiments here, and I concur! Also, thanks for everyone's feedback. :cool:

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
hey we are all here to help..you give here a lot and we all appreciate it...love to see how you design it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts