The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I have money just for one, which is more worth the money?

MM300 (sbdx001) or Tuna1000 (sbdx011)??

I love the tuna for the unique shape as i am sure i can wear it well. currently i am wearing a tuna300m quartz. but i am worried about the black case taking on knocks and scratching.

But the mm300 semms more versatile in looks but i worry it may wear big on me.

Don't ask me to buy both as this is not a mako or 007

Earlier on, i was at Seiko Centre singapore just now to touch and feel both tuna1000m and mm300m.

initial feel:

• tuna has A LOT of wrist presence. one quick glance and you will go "WOW"..my tuna quartz looks improvished now.
    mm300 is a beautiful made watch but for that price point, it does not grab one's attention as much. one quick glance and you may think it is "just another seiko"
my worry:

• the mm300 is a heavy watch. with stainless steel bracelet, the watch may become off balance as i have a small wrist.
    the tuna1000 is big but the overall balnce is ok (somewhat like my tuna 7c46). i'm just worried about the shroud and case being black will become a scratch magnet. any idea if it is ceramic or pvd coated?
this is one of the biggest plunge i am taking into the seiko world..please guide me!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't own Tunas so I can't comment on those ::) . The MM wears very well on my 6.75" wrist and it's top heavy at first, but I got used to it. I wear it on the bracelet which I find it fits me much better than the straps I had on before. Since it's a top heavy watch, the bracelet holds it on the wrist better than the straps.

To you the MM is "just another Seiko" (you said so :p ), but it isn't so in my book. Just look at the legendary Seiko divers 6159 or 6215....the MM is the direct descendant (one-piece case shape, dial, bezel, and hands).

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a very happy SBDX011 owner, and must say that the ceramic shroud is virtually scratchproof. I do not baby it at all and it looks like new, therefore I trust scratches should not be an issue. It is a real tank.

MM300 on the other side is more versatile (I had your same problems when choosing which one to buy). Bottom line, it depends on the use you will make of it. The MM300 is a better all-rounder, but the Tuna rocks IMHO.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is the size of the tuna that frightens me :eek:

hope it sits as well as my tuna 7c46...

as for the mm300, it is a nice watch but just worried abt the ss bracelet being "unbalanced" (i have this problem with bracelet so most of my watches on straps)

thanks folks for the advice, i practically read every thread about the Tuna Emperor and MM300 at WUS for half of the day!

·
Registered
862 Posts
It's an interesting debate only because of the similiar price in my opinion. I think the Tuna 1000 is an insane watch. The black is supposed to blend in when underwater. But lets face it- Not a watch to wear to a dinner party, work if you dress in a suit, etc... But, the MM300 can be done in a suit. Some will disagree, but it can be done. Are you diving? Do you use a computer as back up? Shoot I think I would go for the Tuna unless you love the strap on the MM300. Ha ha It's SO tough! I feel your pain. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jan-10 said:
But lets face it- Not a watch to wear to a dinner party, work if you dress in a suit, etc... But, the MM300 can be done in a suit. Some will disagree, but it can be done. Are you diving? Do you use a computer as back up? Shoot I think I would go for the Tuna unless you love the strap on the MM300. Ha ha It's SO tough! I feel your pain. :)
like most folks here, i am a desk diver :D

i am more tend towards the tuna1000 at this point of time. it is the tuna that calls out to me more than the mm300.

the bracelet is one of the reasons i stop in my tracks. i am more a strap person and so i reckon if i put on a nice leather strap or hirsch carbon along that line, i can wear the tuna to work. by the way i work in finance and i meet clients in long sleeve and tie. the tuna1000 may seem off but i thought, hey, pple wear their sporty panerai proudly even in suits too!

current halftime score: tuna 1 mm 0.

i respect mm300 owners but somehow the mm300 dun seem to attract me at this time. well, i may be wrong, i may regret the tuna1000 later but that will come later right? :)

the saving grace for the mm300 is versatility and classic-ness.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Sounds like you really want the Tuna. Follow your heart.
Unless your office has fashion police handing out tickets, wear what you like and what makes you happy...Life is short, enjoy it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris said:
Hi, Kohym!

Well, I own both watches. But if I only had money to invest in one of them, I'd go for the tuna emperor in a heartbeat. ;)

Cheers!
CHRIS
Chris! nice wrist shot & u are blessed with a good sized wrist ;D

6.5in wrist of mine have to be very carful choosing a watch, that is why the sumo does not suit me as it sits off-balance on me. :)

and btw, is there any way i can put on wrist mass??!! :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
I agree the 30mm is a dress-sport watch and is more useful. It is top heavy and when I had mine I never quite got used to it. I have watches that are heavier but the design makes the mm seem heavier. On the other hand the 1000m is really a sport watch and for my 6.75 inch wrist just too big.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
kohym said:
ya man, i'm quite near to preparing the bank wire transfer form for hicughi ;D
OT question, bro: do you specifically prefer bank wire transfer instead of PAYPAL funds transfer? Would you care to say why? Katsu accepts paypal, but I'm sure you're aware of it...

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
kohym said:
Chris! nice wrist shot & u are blessed with a good sized wrist ;D

6.5in wrist of mine have to be very carful choosing a watch, that is why the sumo does not suit me as it sits off-balance on me. :)

and btw, is there any way i can put on wrist mass??!! :D
Thanks for the compliment, buddy!

By the way, the watch you're seeing in my avatar is the SBBN011 Darth tuna (7C46 quartz), which I also own. The Emperor Tuna is 2mm wider than this one, being 51mm in circunference.

Also, about increasing wrist mass.....there's nothing you can do about it per se. But there's one thing that might help to create an illusion of balance between wrist to forearm ratio: barbell or dumbell wrist curls. Sets of very high reps (think in terms of 50 reps per set) for forearms work wonders to increase its muscle mass, due to its red fiber prevalence in muscle mass constitution. So red fibers are best stimulated with long exposure to mechanical stress, thus providing a need to increase the muscle mass of said body part. This bit of OT info comes from my bodybuilding background.... ;D

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chris said:
OT question, bro: do you specifically prefer bank wire transfer instead of PAYPAL funds transfer? Would you care to say why? Katsu accepts paypal, but I'm sure you're aware of it...
yes, i do know they take Paypal. but my reasons as follow:

1. bank wire transfer would mean lower fees to them as compared to paypal so i can get a better price in their domestic currency (JPY in this case)

2. i work in a bank and one of the staff privileges is a better than market exchange rate and waiver of wire transfer comission fees. so i only pay a US$15 cable charge. bene bank fees will be borned by the seller.

after working the above out, for big ticket purchase, bank wire trf works better for me. but of cos i must be sure of the other party. so Seiya, Chino or Hicughi i am sure is ok.

cheaper items i will go paypal as the savings are not huge anyway.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
this afternoon i made my way to the seiko main office (for the 2nd time) in singapore to look and feel the mm300 and tuna1000..

frankly the mm300 is startin to grow on me too..it's contagious.
i hv earlier read up more about the heritage behind the shape and design of the mm300 and wow, what a history it is!

the salesgirl allow me to strap the tuna1000 on my wrist and gee, not bad. but one hole is too loose and the next is too tight. balance wise ok. if i buy, i may get a mesh or leather strap to replace the factory strap.

as for the mm300, seems a little top heavy. i tried the crown and it is ok. the bezel seem very delicate and not as rugged as the normal bezel insert. the watch is a little blingy and the dial busy due to the wordings. but on the whole, mm300 still a very attractive watch, i'm slowly gettin converted? maybe..

one of the fellow collectors suggested i should go for the tuna1000 first and then save up for the mm300. his take is that if i buy the mm300 first i will keep on thinkin of the tuna1000 so much i will spend again very soon. so he suggested i should buy the tuna1000 and enjoy the watch while slowly saving up for the mm300. sounds like a good plan.

these 2 days have been busy reading the tons of reviews and comments for both watches over TZ, WUS and SCWF and i am fortunate that i work close by the seiko main office to pop by to feel both (i am becoming a familiar face there not buying anythin!)

in the mind, i ideally picture myself owning both watches (if $$ permits, now that i got a baby girl waiting for milk powder at home). if i am unable to achieve that, at least i want to be stuck with the one i like most.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts