The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I successfully found a workaround for replacing the crown seal on the 6105: I wrapped the stem with teflon tape and added in a little silicone grease and bob's your uncle. I pressure tested it for 5 minutes under 6 BAR and it held like a champ. I don't dive with this one but I am no longer afraid to splish a few splashes on it while washing the dishes. Cheers!

·
Administrator
33,201 Posts
Is that a bubble inside opposite the stem ?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why a Lathe ? Sorry for all the questions...
When the crown seals went bad on these watches the whole crown/stem assembly was replaced. Now that they don't make them anymore replacing the seal requires disassembly of the original crown, which requires a lathe to do properly.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
My plumber uses teflon tape all the time, its great stuff for pipes, the house has not flooded yet :93:

·
Registered
837 Posts
How many turns do you need to seal the crown/stem? What Teflon width do you use?

Any detail on turns variability and tearing of the Teflon tape when undoing/redoing the crown?

Kind rgds
Jef

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Good job OP:grin:

When I do one of these for a customer and I water pressure test them they always leak and I always tell them because of the crap crown seal system and the age/worth of the watch DON'T get them wet!!

·
Administrator
33,201 Posts
My plumber uses teflon tape all the time, its great stuff for pipes, the house has not flooded yet :93:
I just love using that tape for plumbing/air connections etc, just love the stuff, something about it :)

ps: I also think silver foil is FANTASTIC and I always marvel at the stuff when I use it :)

I know I lead a sad life :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts