The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I received a 6309-7040 from a friend for the TST mod, when stripped it was obvious that it had been in a HHC at some time,
  • Case back sealing face corroded like a sponge.
  • Bezel with gasket missing.
  • After market crystal retaining ring.
  • The crystal gasket was almost non exsistant.
  • Horrible after market dial and hands.
A typical HHC watch, after doing the mod and fitting the new dial and hands i did a time test and it was running about 3 mins slow a day.

So i then wound it fully and put it on the Timegrapher, I was pretty amazed at the figures showing, regulated it and below is how its running now.

Who ever serviced it seems to have done a good job on this movement, well done HHC guy :)

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
They are not all bad. I had a 6309-7040 from Mountapo Ed a few years ago which is/was the best running 6309 I've had.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok, a stupid question from a newbie
what's an HHC?
thanks
john

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
"Hot Humid Country"

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
well those hands look amazing on a 6309...who knew...great work..are they from Harold?...

·
Registered
76 Posts
are the watches coming out of hot humid climates really that much worse than average?

i lived in FL for a while and never had noticed it being harder on my watched, but then again i was in the air conditioning most of the time

"Hot Humid Country"

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are the watches coming out of hot humid climates really that much worse than average?

i lived in FL for a while and never had noticed it being harder on my watched, but then again i was in the air conditioning most of the time
Not all obviously but in my experience (limited) a lot of what you buy can be cobbled up pieces of junk, worn out, broken, glued, after market parts, corroded etc.

You get what you pay for :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
i would think hot Desert climates like Las Vegas or Phoenix would possibly worse, no corrosion... but rubber seals wear out and crack very quickly

windshield wipers crack and fall apart in less than a year, and thats if you have a garage

between the solar exposure, 120 degree heat and the dry air, most cars older than 4-5 years have cracked dashboards, unless they live in the garage.

this has to be tough on watch seals, but better than corrosion i guess

Not all obviously but in my experience (limited) a lot of what you buy can be cobbled up pieces of junk, worn out, broken, glued, after market parts, corroded etc.

You get what you pay for :)

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Superlative numbers John. Forgetting about positional variances, just seeing - 1 spd at that amplitude and beat error we are talking about a very good rebuild.

Congrats !

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
those hands i think really make the watch and with Tiger's work...it is truly one of a kind...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts