The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently asked by a mate to tidy up his used SBBN007 tuna.
The prevoius owner had beat up the shroud and scratched up the hardlex crystal.
An A/M sapphire crystal was fitted with the blue AR coating on the rear.
My mate wanted this removing as he hated it. No joking it took me two hours of rubbing with steel wool and cutting compound to do this.
I then gave the shroud a light sanding then i blasted it to get it back to OEM state.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well you do very nice work...it looks excellent....great job

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Looks awesome, good as new. I love these, the extra detail on the dial is a big improvement over the other tunas. I'm not such a fan of the standard steel insert though, but the black one you've fitted looks so much better.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
What on earth was wrong with having the AR coating? This usually enhances the look of a watch.
Clear AR may be OK but I found the blue AR 'muddied' the colour of the dial and lume and I hated it too. I used glass polish to remove mine, I did try acetone but this did not work.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ditto......

Clear AR may be OK but I found the blue AR 'muddied' the colour of the dial and lume and I hated it too. I used glass polish to remove mine, I did try acetone but this did not work.
This is exactly what my mate said. He hated the blue AR coating so much he didnt wear the watch. Your comment about marring the dial colour was his argument too.
Yes you can remove the coating but boy, is it tough.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I agree with the OP's mate. I have a 6309 with one of Yobokies's blue AR sapphires on it. I find the bluing highlights any smudges on the glass and makes everything look smokey in the wrong light. If I hadn't spent $60US on it I would have swapped it out for one without AR already.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Interesting...I like the blue AR coating and have been getting complements on it,... and have been busy of late installing the crystals on a few watches for others .

·
Registered
501 Posts
Interesting...I like the blue AR coating and have been getting complements on it,... and have been busy of late installing the crystals on a few watches for others .
On my old Seiko MM and Tuna I regretted installing a crystal with AR. it seemed like the stock crystal was a better fit due to no blue hues and no weird glare issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts