1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Asking for some help please
I don’t know much about nor have I ever seen one, Seiko Bullheads 6138 0050
I saw this one for sale but I am unable to see it in person.
Seller says it runs well has original bracelet, functions operate properly, keeps good time, and was serviced a year ago.
I am going to ask for a picture of the watch with today’s date written on paper next to it. Only way I can buy is via mail and Paypal
So before I get myself in trouble do you think it is correct and worth around $400?
Thanks
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Gauge

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Silver Natural material Clock

Watch Analog watch Computer keyboard Peripheral Input device

Watch Analog watch Clock Silver Font

Watch Natural material Watch accessory Silver Rectangle

Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Font

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well, hard to tell from your pictures but the case does looked like it's been polished. (for me a non starter) but it does have the correct Japanese day wheel which goes with the Speedtimer dial. I personally don't know how to tell if the dial is original but if it is AM, then they went to the trouble of putting the correct day wheel in it to match. Probably original. Missing the case spring which means whoever did the "service" didn't go to the trouble to find one and put it in. Ask to if there is a receipt for the service to see if the service is legit. The sub dial hands are original, again I cannot tell if the hour and minute hands are AM but they look to be re-lumed. Again, cannot tell for sure from the pictures. The $400 price doesn't seem too bad but I would personally have it serviced as I never believe what the seller says because they are trying to sell the watch. An honest service is going to add another $300 give or take to the price. Good luck.

·
Special Member
3,963 Posts
I happen to be wearing mine today on an EastTech bracelet. Other than some polishing yours looks right, but not sure about the sweep hand. There are three varieties of the brown dial made and there is a good diagram online that shows the differences. Let me know if you have trouble finding it. My watch is a 100% original restoration from Spencer Klein some years ago, including the crystal which is also original. My dial is the non-lumed marker variant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
989 Posts
The sweep hand on a JDM Bullhead should be the maroon color shown on Tod’s watch. Your pictures aren’t good enough to tell if the dial is real or not. Most of the aftermarket dials lack the correct flat-topped “A” in “JAPAN“ to the right of the 7:00 marker. Look at Tod’s watch and you’ll see what the correct lettering looks like.

If the dial is legit, $400 is a reasonable price assuming you‘re OK with the incorrect sweep hand.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies
I did notice the missing gasket and I do question whether or not the watch was serviced
Unfortunately the watch and I are 4 hours apart and the seller has gone silent after I asked for a picture of the watch on a paper with his name and todays date on it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the replies
I did notice the missing gasket and I do question whether or not the watch was serviced
Unfortunately the watch and I are 4 hours apart and the seller has gone silent after I asked for a picture of the watch on a paper with his name and todays date on it
Are the pics searchable? Meaning can you use them to search for a match to see if they are from another site or sale? Maybe a more tech skilled reader can search for a match. Suspect everything at the point.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for the replies
The case spring goes on top of the ring that holds the movement. Generally, in my experience, if the spring is not there, whoever did the service was not a good watchmaker. A service means different things to different people. A full service done by someone who knows what they are doing will run at least $300 so if they are asking $400 than it was not serviced. And as you say, the back gasket was missing, that's another negative meaning it wasn't serviced.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all those who responded. The incorrect sweep hand the polishing of the case and the silence and non responsiveness of the seller plus the fact that the watch most likely was not serviced makes me pass on it

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bracelet appears original but also looks like it might be small (and additional links can be hard to come by). There are some good reproductions of this bracelet out there, however, should you need something bigger to fit your wrist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts