The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a couple of them. One was a very attractive 7T32. I had an older small cased 7T32 with a green face that the gold tone on the case and bracelet was about 80% wiped out and the crystal had some scratches but mechanically it still worked perfect. So I picked up a nice 42mm case 7T32 salesman sample. Brushed stainless finish with a nice blue dial and a a rotating ring with sunken marking filled in with a matching blue. This was my first attempt and the fact that the case was a completely different size added some difficulty as the stems do not come with salesmen samples and the doner watch stems were to short. The only real goof I had was removing the crowns from the case. They glue them in with what appears to be that "hotgun" plastic type glue. I tried to force the crowns out which I did bit the threaded part of the stem is to delicate to be pushed out. So on my second attempt I broke the whole watch down to the case with just the crowns glued into it. I used a clamp and slide the crowns and case into a small bottle of acetone a let it sit overnight. The next morning I was able to pull the crowns right out of the case with my thumb nail and the acetone did not mark up the case at all. Then I just used some reamers to clean what was left of the glue in the tubes out a toothpick to clean up the crowns. Now it is all waiting on the bench for later tonight to go back together. it remains to be seen if the stems will need replacing on this second attempt. The replacement 7T32 Seiko stems are all only offer in one length. It is up to the installer to cut the threaded end down to the correct length. I'll post some pictures up later of the one I'm working on now. I did not take pictures if the first one I buggered up a bit.

Michael

·
Registered
514 Posts
I keep an eye on them in case anything comes up decent, I would most certainly grab one for a resto. Having said that, the 7S55 Superior I have had since 1999 was orginally a salesmans sample. Still works great after all this time. I really should service it one day....

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah what even you do don't try to just push the crown out of the case. It will distort the thin end of the crown that is threaded. It is a lot more work to remove the crystal so you can remove the crystal gasket and bigger pain to remove the pusher on my 7T32 because I did not want to expose them to the acetone but the acetone softened up the plastic they melted in the tubes over night and the crowns came right out and now can be used. You still may have to fiddle around with the stem to get the crown to sit right on the tube because they are cut to length but its just a matter of trial and error. I also bought a 7002 Sports 50 and a 7N43 powered Sports 100 sample tonight. It is even better when you find the exact matching salesman sample for a watch you own that need some help. I recently bought a lot of three watches for $25 bucks because it included a 8M25-7029 with a nice Roman numeral face. The watch that some call the "dancing hands" watch. All it needed was a battery and to be recalibrated and it ran fine. The case and crystal had light scratches all over it but not horrible. Well the same seller has a salesman sample of the exact watch for $35 bucks. Now all I need to do is a straight swap and I will have a like new 8M25 for a total investment of about $45 bucks!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I want to buy one for my kinetic but I only see them in the U.S.(I'm in the UK)

They want the same cost as the item to post it and then want me to pay upfront for import duty.

a) I thought samples were exempt from duty
b) Why the heck should I pay the seller the duty?

·
Registered
514 Posts

They want the same cost as the item to post it and then want me to pay upfront for import duty.

Ebay has started a new scam with Pitney Bowes where they collect taxes and duties up front for the country that the item is going to. You are forced to pay them every time. They neglect to mention that quite often the countries the item is going to don't collect the duties or taxes depending on the item, and the fact that both Ebay and Pitney Bowes take a cut of said fees the collect. They charge these import fees on absolutely everything that is sold under the program, and I often wonder if they have the correct tariff lists since the fees are so out to lunch. The one benefit to it is that for larger items it is often slightly cheaper and faster to go this route, but unless you are ordering a vintage Omnibot 2000 from Texas it's a blatant rip-off. I scrupulously avoid any auctions using the global shipping program.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

That sucks sounds like you need to find a friend over here to buy it for you and just ship it as a gift. Also I forgot to add this. You are not paying the seller the duty. I have shipped on eBay overseas and what happens is the seller ships it to an eBay forwarding center. The only thing I as the seller collect is the cost of the item and the cost of the shipping to the eBay forwarding center. Any other fees eBay is charging you is being kept by eBay. Maybe they are then forwarding that to customs in the UK?

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK here we go from salesmen sample to a functional watch first picture the salesmen sample.

and the transplant supplier watch.

I have broken down both cases and sorted the parts into build parts and spares. Here is an idea of just how many good spare parts you also can make use of when doing this type of swap!

More pictures to come later

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have family in Canada but I think they would be charged the duty also wouldn't they?
I'm not sure if shipping from the US to Canada will cost the person on the Canadian end duty fees. I know when I purchase from Canada I do not pay any fees.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes thats the one i bought, only with a gold colored bezel and crown
Nice! It should be an easy surgery. I have several 7N42 and 7N43 units that I have refurbished in the spares bin already. It is a nice clean attractive dial design too. Should make for a nice everyday watch.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok silver date wheel changed out for the gold one that came with the Salesmen sample on the movement and the face from the salesman's sample also installed. Then the fun part installed all the tiny sub dial hands and main hands and top it of with the chronograph hand. I got further but I have not uploaded those pictures yet.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More progress. The chapter ring has been reinstalled in the case and the movement/dial assemble has been fitted into the case being sure to fit the small tab on the dial into the corresponding notch in the chapter ring so it sits nice and flush. I managed to remove the main crown from its stem and install the new one that came with the salesmen's case and she threaded right on and the new set up slid right into place and locked right into the movement with the crown sitting perfectly against the case. Unfortunately the old crown from the old case refused to part from the stem so it is soaking in acetone. It's coming down to the finish line!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All done. This one went much easier than the last one I did. The old watch stems were the exact length so I just had to swap crowns instead of cutting the stems to the right length.

·
Craftsman
3,896 Posts
I've been gathering salesman's sample cases for quite some time. They are great for hard to find replacement parts.

I bought several from a watchmaker who told me some time ago that to remove the glued in crown all you need is a little heat.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been gathering salesman's sample cases for quite some time. They are great for hard to find replacement parts.

I bought several from a watchmaker who told me some time ago that to remove the glued in crown all you need is a little heat.
Yes heat would work but not a little. It would have to be a pretty hot temperature to melt that plastic glue. Either method will require you to break the case all the way down otherwise damage would occur to the Teflon crystal retainer ring and also and seals for crowns or pushers. My advice would be to use the acetone. Once the watch cooled off the glue would once again harden in the crown tube and edges. With the Acetone it destroys the plastic glue completely leaving you plenty of time to clean it out of the tub and all of the other spots it manages to get into and no worries of getting burned by a hot watch case!

Michael

1 - 18 of 18 Posts