The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hello folks,

Since my favorite watch companies seem to have moved away from affordable, classically style watches in the newest models, I have been drawn into the "vintage" watch market.

One eBay vendor in particular, saitama_jp, seems to often have examples in decent condition and the auction prices don't get too crazy.

Here is my first purchase from saitama_jp, a package I received this weekend. At first I was disappointed to see an "envelope" style package, thinking that I would prefer a "box" for better protection.

Click for Big Image

Inside was what looks like a grocery bag!? :) Perhaps it affords some moisture protection in case the envelope gives wet.

Click for Big Image

Inside that is some local newspaper. Too bad I don't read Japanese, or I could check out the local news.

Click for Big Image

Under the newspaper is a wrapping of bubble-wrap. Hmm, looking at the newspaper again, I looks like the "Personals"! Might have made for some interesting reading! :eek:hmy:

Click for Big Image

And under the outer layer of bubble-wrap, sone inner bundles of bubble-wrap. I am starting to think these watches were packaged just fine!

Lets start with the left-hand bundle shall we?

Click for Big Image

Ah, we are starting to get close, I like how the head of the watch is wrapped in tissue, Very "full of care"...

Click for Big Image

There we go! (No darn watch box to get stuck!) A really clean Seiko Weekdater, don't you think? And don't we all love the Kanji Day!?! :grin:

Click for Big Image

Here is a closer look, my black camera shroud has darkened the silver hands. If the bracelet is too small (which I think it is) this will look just fine on a nice black strap. Love the sunburst dial texture too!

Click for Big Image

Okay, let's dig into the second bundle.

Click for Big Image

Ha! I forget to expose the watch! This close-up doesn't help very much! :(

Click for Big Image

Okay, this close-up helps! Another clean vintage Seiko, this one is a Lord Matic. I like the black lines on the hands and indices. They will help keep them legible in bright light, when a plain silver hand might "disappear".

Interesting original bracelet too. It might even be long enough to wear! :p

Click for Big Image

And here are the two side by side.

Click for Big Image

And the mandatory "lume" shot! :eek: Hahahahaha!

Click for Big Image

And I have learned that you true vintage watch lovers HAVE to see the case-back, so here you go. ;)

I actually like the Japanese characters on the Lord Matic, they are so nicely done. Can anyone tell me what they say?

And of course the dolphin on the Weekdater is very cool!

Click for Big Image

And for all know, there are "Claspers" in the vintage watch world as well, so here is a picture for them. :undecided:

Click for Big Image

Okay that the end of this show.

One more vintage Seiko coming soon from saitama_jp, probably on Tuesday of next week. Stay tuned! :cool:

Thanks for looking!

- Thomas

·
Registered
SEIKO 6105-8110 150m Diver PROOF
1,086 Posts
Wow! What a catch, Thomas.

Love that Seikomatic. Enjoy, buddy!

·
Vendor
1,696 Posts
Beautiful Examples
However Im not sure mentioning the vendor was a wise idea as now the prices will rise lol.
Enjoy them lovely watches...............

·
Registered
626 Posts
both lovely watches and in great condition :) wear in good health!

you will find that bubble wrap and an envelope afford better protection to a watch than a box - what really kills watches is bumping around in transit, and being bubble wrapped + taped and then held within further padding normally keeps that from happening. If the package is dropped the layers of padding will absorb any sharp knocks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Beautiful watches,very good seller.I have bought a couple of him myself,a LM special 5206 6010 and a weekdater 6218 8000.
Hope you don't get hit by duty,first watch came through ok second got hit by the tax man then parcel farce added theirs on top.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you all!

Thank you all for your kind words. I don't really know what I am doing in this vintage world, but I am trying to pay attention and learn from the more experienced collectors. :rolleyes:

Hope you don't get hit by duty....

I should be okay, here in the U.S. it is usually only shipments that come in on FedEx that get hit with Customs fees. (As they are the official collection agency or something.) These EMS to US Postal Service shipments have not generated any Customs fees in the past. :cool:

These may be my only foray into the vintage arena in the near future however (along with the scratched up LM Special that should get here tomorrow or the next day). My budget took a severe blow from a recent Mike Mounce exposition!! :eek:

- Thomas

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Great catch Thomas.

Saitama is best overseas e-bayer I've ever dealt with. Great watches , superb packaging (I too took pictures, but I won't bore everyone with them) and even better customer service !

My first went back twice due to a stuck day wheel and he paid return postage both times and was sincerely apologetic (he also apologised for the fact that it only had a Kanji day wheel ! :grin:). I almost felt guilty sending it back the second time.

The Second was my birthday watch from Feb '65

My third was this stunning Ricoh

I was even almost happy to pay the £26 customs/parcelface fee on this one. I escaped with no fees on the first two.

Saitama San :rock:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Beautiful watches, I've bought one or two from him and been very happy.

As far as the Japanese goes, I'll see if my wife can translate it. I know for a fact that the numbers on the bottom (S45.4.1) stand for Showa 45 (1970) April 1. Exactly a week before I was born :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
The watch was awarded to a driver of a major bus company for no accidents in 5 years. The literal translation is, "Nihonkotsu" (bus company) "Accident free for 5 years" "President of the company - Kawanabe Akizo". The characters in the center of the case back mean "Prize"

Nihonkotsu is still in business and is the largest bus company in Japan.

Akizo Kawanabe is the founder of the company and was born in my wife's home town of Tokorozawa.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW!

The watch was awarded to a driver of a major bus company for no accidents in 5 years. The literal translation is, "Nihonkotsu" (bus company) "Accident free for 5 years" "President of the company - Kawanabe Akizo". The characters in the center of the case back mean "Prize"

Nihonkotsu is still in business and is the largest bus company in Japan.

Akizo Kawanabe is the founder of the company and was born in my wife's home town of Tokorozawa.

:c029: Very cool c5! :bowing:

Thank you and your wife VERY much! That is so :cool2: What a coincidence about the date and your wife's hometown, too! Just amazing!

Now I want to buy you and your wife a gift certificate to your favorite sushi bar!! :08:

Thank you again! :88:

- Thomas

·
Registered
657 Posts
:c029: Very cool c5! :bowing:

Thank you and your wife VERY much! That is so :cool2: What a coincidence about the date and your wife's hometown, too! Just amazing!

Now I want to buy you and your wife a gift certificate to your favorite sushi bar!! :08:

Thank you again! :88:

- Thomas

My pleasure, it's nice to be the one providing information instead of just begging for it this time :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts