The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was down at one of my locations in Denver today. Talking to the manager about business, when he and his boss both notice my FrankenChrono, and really start going on about it. They get me talking about watches (hard to do, right?) and I'm talking away about Seiko and chronographs etc blah blah blah. Well, the manager pipes up with a story. Some background: before his current career, back in the 70s and early 80s, he was a world-class professional skier for Team Volvo - flown all over the world, international exhibitions etc etc. He was also an avid diver. So around 1976 he gets annoyed that with all the skiing and diving he keeps destroying watches. So he decides to invest some money in a really nice watch.

He describes the watch to me, trying to remember what it was. I pull up some pictures, talk to him a bit, ask about functions etc.

He says he had an Omega Speedmaster, Apollo 11 edition. He described it perfectly, including the back. He said it was about $300 when new. Anyway, he wore it day in, day out, for years. Then on one trip to Fiji with some diving, water got into the movement. And after a watchsmith told him the movement was not repairable, he says he "probably threw it away". :'(

And it gets better. So his brother is in Japan at this time, and buys him a Seiko Chronograph to replace the lost Omega. He doesn't remember which model. But he's wearing it on a ski lift in Winter Park, CO - and the spring bar breaks, and it drops off of his wrist and into a snowbank 20 or 30 feet below him, never to be seen again. It could be there to this day.

What a terrible story. He's going to go home and check his closets - it's possible that the Omega is still around, but he wasn't sure. He didn't remember what he might have done with it. Can you believe it??? Who throws away an OMEGA??

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
rileynp said:
The same person who thinks it's a good idea to go diving with a minimally water resistant watch.
That's right on. I think those were water resistant to about 30m...on a good day...when new. Too bad he didn't buy a Ploprof! He floods a chrono while diving, and replaces it with another chrono?

One thing you have to remember about Omega in the 1960s-1970s (and Rolex also, for that matter), is at the time they were just considered a nice, middle-of-the-road Swiss watch. They did not have the price tag or snob factor that they do nowadays. A similar Seiko chrono would retail for between $150-$200 at the same time this Omega was $300. A Rolex would be about the same as an Omega, but none of them was out of range of the average working person.

I would imagine he figured that the Omega, though not cheap, had paid for itself and was not worth putting more money into. Besides, there were those cool new quartz watches out there.... ---A

·
Registered
547 Posts
Cobrajet25 said:
That's right on. I think those were water resistant to about 30m...on a good day...when new. Too bad he didn't buy a Ploprof! He floods a chrono while diving, and replaces it with another chrono?

One thing you have to remember about Omega in the 1960s-1970s (and Rolex also, for that matter), is at the time they were just considered a nice, middle-of-the-road Swiss watch. They did not have the price tag or snob factor that they do nowadays. A similar Seiko chrono would retail for between $150-$200 at the same time this Omega was $300. A Rolex would be about the same as an Omega, but none of them was out of range of the average working person.

I would imagine he figured that the Omega, though not cheap, had paid for itself and was not worth putting more money into. Besides, there were those cool new quartz watches out there.... ---A
+1 to all this. I've been told by guys old enough to remember that Omegas were a dime a dozen back in the day. That line about the "cool new quartz watches" was pretty good... got a chuckle out of that! :))

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Talking to him, I'll bet that you guys are right. He said he bought the Omega because it supposed to be durable. He didn't care about the snob thing and being a skier he liked the timing function. He's a super-nice guy, seriously, but he's not a WIS - doesn't have the mentality, never would, never will. It was a watch, he wore it, it broke, he either threw it away or stuck it in a box.

I did message him this morning to see if he'd looked around for it, but haven't heard back yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts