The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is my first post on the SCWF, let me briefly introduce myself:

I became fascinated by mechanical watches about two years ago when I bought my first automatic wristwatch. Initially, I collected automatic Jacques Lemans watches with Valjoux/ETA movements, however, with increasing knowledge, I became more and more fascinated by the movements themselves and by the technical solutions manufacturers invented for mechanical complications, especially chronographs. I thus researched the history of chronographs and in this context I read about the race of manufacturers for the first automatic chronograph - this is how I became aware of Seiko's history in the manufacture of mechanical watches.

Since I do not consider myself to be in the position to spend a furtune on a watch, and also because I am somehow a bit distressed about the 'savoir-faire'-strategy (with the respective 'premium' price tag) of a lot of today's manufacturers of mechanical chronographs (apart from those 'simply' encasing ETA/Valjoux movements), I decided to take a better look on automatic chronographs from 1969 to the beginning of the 'Quarz-crisis', a time, where there was simply no other way to manufacture chronographs. This was also the time when I acquired my first Seiko, a 6138-0030 from 1973. After a very thorough movement service, the watch now keeps time within a few secs a day and has spent a lot of time on my wrist since. The watch has somehow started a little obsession for Japanese watches, and I became aware of other, very interesting movements manufactured by Seiko and Citizen. After spending a lot of time on the internet, I thus would like to post two questions here:

- Which round-cased reference numbers with Seiko's 7016 movement do exist? Which dial colours were available? Pictures and experiences of proud 7016 owners would be much appreciated!

- Which references with a 21J 6139-movement are known? Are there any 21J-6139s in the possession of SCWF members?

Best regards from Vienna/Austria,
Hermann

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I think all 6139 Speedtimer (Japanese Domestic Market) models have the 21J movement. I have a couple of these and I would suggest that they are relatively common. I have a round 7016-8001 as well but cant advise on all the color combinations. I think the two round models were 7016-7000 and 7016-8001 but stand to be corrected. I seem to recall however that there is also a very rare 7016-8000 model too that was actually marked as a Time Sonar watch which more commonly used the 7015 movements.

StartSomething said:
- Which references with a 21J 6139-movement are known? Are there any 21J-6139s in the possession of SCWF members?

Best regards from Vienna/Austria,
Hermann

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did own a 7016-8000, this is a round one with a blue dail, very nice model (I think).
Some pic's from my archive :

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
isupsyclone said:
For pictures of many of the 7016s and 21 jewel 6139s, which are usually badged "Seiko 5 Sports Speedtimer" check out Jayhawk's photo database:

http://uaf13892.ddns.uark.edu/jgauch/photos/watches/chrono_auto/index.html
Dear isupsyclone,

thank you for your reply. I have already researched the database, but I was hoping to find some further models and photographs, since I am currently trying to do a little in-depth research on the round 7016 models. I am trying to figure out the different case, hand, dial and original bracelet variants and also I want myself to become aware of the repaint, relume or redial or other modifications. Thus I asked for help ;)

@ Roland

This is a beautiful example of the 800X style...
I received an example of this model with the same blue dial in mint condition today - it is the first 7016 chronograph for me, and I have to say that I am very impressed... The size and shape of the case reminds me of some Bellmatic models, and its pretty impressive that Seiko managed to fit such a technically interesting movement in such a small case ;)

I found an additional model, the 7016-8010 on the internet that was obviously released for the 1974 Asian Games in Tehran (photograph borrowed from www.orologiando.org):

Does somebody on the forum own such a chronograph and know, if different dial colours were available for this watch?

Best Regards,
Hermann

1 - 9 of 9 Posts