The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
29,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was messing about with some spare NOS second hands a while ago and rather than them just sit in my draw loose I thought I would flatten a piece of Rodico and stick them on it just so I could see what I had and also stop them from getting damaged/moving about.

Last night I removed one for a possible project and I noticed the first sign of corrosion on the hand tube so whether the metal of the tube reacted with the Rodico I don't know but I won't be storing anymore in that manner.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Rodico is basically a sponge. If it was an old piece of rodico then it's going to be full of all sorts of stuff.

I'm guessing here, but if it was a new piece of rodico and you pinched it with you fingers, it will pull the oils from your skin, or you rolled it on the bench to get the shape you want it could be absorbing contaminates.

Then there is the the chance that the rodico did it on its own.

Finally it could be something completely seperate that caused the corrosion.

It's the old causation vs correlation statistical problem.

That all said I would probably avoid using it too after hearing your experience!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I've got a set of hands that've been stored on Rodico for a couple of years now - I'd better go have a look at them!!!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I shipped a helmet sub dial hand out to Wadner on Saturday stuck in Rodico, then read this the next day. Luckily he has already installed the hand but this is good to know. I wont be leaving/shipping anything in Rodico any more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts