The Watch Site banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
I believe the market (buyers and sellers and not just one individual offering or sale) will determine Fair Value. From what I have seen Sunrises in Excellent condition have been selling in a very narrow range at around $3,000 for many years now. Examples in less than excellent condition sell for far less.
Yes I agree.These rarely turn up for sale, and when they do, they are usually scruffy. For some reason the dial is often in poor condition.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Whilst I agree, the fact is that everyone here is and has been hyping these things up day in day out for years. All of them "undervalued", amazing quality and best out there for the money. If you think prices on the whole are ridiculous, it is the norm now. Every single person who buys a vintage Seiko immediately adds 20 percent to its value, and often within a few days or weeks, some will flip it, because they know they can, for an extra 20 percent or more, and invariably someone will pay the price.

I'd say that there are many involved now that purely only buy to keep up with collectors like Bertrand and Strickland. One guy continually adds 6105s to his collection at whatever cost. He gives a crap so much about them that he posted an obvious fake and had no clue....Many commenting on his latest purchase either didn't notice or probably assumed this person, after owning 10 or more within as many months, would know the difference....clearly not.

I often wonder who would still like Seiko stuff if every single one of them was worth about a tenth of what they sell for. Maybe the prices going up and up pulls in a new type of buyer, one that sees them as acquisitions that affirm some sort of status. On the most part I honestly can't understand the prices for many of them now, Pogues are one model, for instance, which for me personally are god awful...but people love 'em and I've seen them fetch crazy amounts. Two vintage watches on Instagram does an auction style post where if it is a known and decent condition example, they consistently go for more than most Ebay auctions.

Everyone and their gran is using Yahoo, and many people simply buy to then shift on at huge margins. I used to do it with 7548s and maybe make 100 quid now and again if that, in around 2016. Now more and more people do it with 6159s, 6217s and 6105s and all they care about is selling to some ex swiss collector for an extra 1, maybe even 2k within about 20 minutes...or a few weeks but...you get the idea.

What concerns me is that for anyone under say 30, there are very few who care now I think, maybe there were more about 3 or 4 years ago, but the next batch of high earner 30 to 50 year olds aren't gonna be so willing to fork out 4k for a 62mas. I may be wrong, but I really can't see it happening.. So all those that are selling for what they can now, will likely be stuck without in future as nobody will want to lose so much dosh, or they will simply move on to whatever else is an investment opportunity. Nokia 3310s and NOS iPods...probably.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Everyone and their gran is using Yahoo, and many people simply buy to then shift on at huge margins.
Yes, Yahoo Japan to eBay re-selling is becoming endemic. I saw a classic case of profiteering with an average / well-worn condition 7A48-7050 Fishing Master earlier this week:

Sold on YJ on 14th June for 33,500 Yen (equivalent to approx $315 USD):

SEIKO フィッシングマスター ムーンフェイス 7A4... - ヤフオク!

Listed on eBay, last week, by a Japanese eBay re-seller asking $1500 as a Buy-it-Now:

[w476] SEIKO 7A48-7050 FISHING MASTER 80' MOONPHASE CHRONOGRAPH New battery VG

Sold yesterday for $1485:

All it ever takes is one mug punter who hasn't done due diligence or somebody with more money than sense. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I found the ad. The shipping cost alone is $250ish. There was another on the same site from Hong Kong that you had to inquire to get the price. That’s crazy. This isn’t a Newman Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
On my limited budget, I've been collecting 6138's for years. I didn't discover this web site till 3 years ago. It used to be the purple grail was the most coveted and expensive 6138. Now, it's the black dialed baby panda. The few available ones out there are in Japan and now the prices are $3-4000+. I'll never own one but it seem as if the price has sky-rocketed only in the last 6-8 months. Is it just a few people pushing up the price and everyone else following?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts