·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Fornicate my ancient footwear!!
That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A well known vintage Seiko reseller was selling one in an excellent condition a few weeks ago for slightly above 2k and it didn't sell right away, he even mentioned he was willing to lower the price in order to sell it.

·
Special Member
2,630 Posts
A well known vintage Seiko reseller was selling one in an excellent condition a few weeks ago for slightly above 2k and it didn't sell right away, he even mentioned he was willing to lower the price in order to sell it.
Photos?
Link (if Not a Live Auction)?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Photos?
Link (if Not a Live Auction)?
I don't want to advertise anyone, but he is a Philippines based active member of this forum, the watch was advertised on another platform ;)
I don't see the listing anymore, so I guess the watch eventually sold, but certainly not for the ridiculous price some people are listing it for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That price is just plain mad! The problem is that if someone buys it then other sellers will see it as a precedent and expect the same creating a false value for the watch - NOT COOL:mad:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I tried the link and hit a dead end. What was the model number of this 6139 where $6500 was asked? Wow. There are a couple of crazy asking prices out now including a FORWARD 6139 on our favorite auction site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
That price is just plain mad! The problem is that if someone buys it then other sellers will see it as a precedent and expect the same creating a false value for the watch - NOT COOL:mad:
I am sure that the market will eventually regulate itself, purely for the fact that the average Seiko buyer is a watch enthusiast of some sort and because of the nature of the Seiko brand which has been acting as a perfect snob repellent, so far at least, but yes, I can see prices of vintage watches going up and following the recent Seiko up market moving.

·
Registered
25,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The way I see it is that this is a hobby for most of us. Some are just taking advantage of a current trend in Seiko by inflating prices. Too Bad as it shines bad light on a Wonderful Hobby. Make Tomorrow a Better Day.

·
Special Member
2,630 Posts
I believe the market (buyers and sellers and not just one individual offering or sale) will determine Fair Value. From what I have seen Sunrises in Excellent condition have been selling in a very narrow range at around $3,000 for many years now. Examples in less than excellent condition sell for far less.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts