SS case 44.5mm
aka "Arnie"

Max

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seiko numbers on back

Hi all,

I just bought a Seiko 7N36-6A49 diver and photos show it is in very good cosmetic condition. I'll know about functional condition when it arrives. And I have a question about sequential numbers, stamped in an arc on the back, that start at 09 and stop at 18 (see pic). What is their purpose? Do they help knowing the year the watch was made?

thanks,
henrylr

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just spent a couple of hours looking at the back of about 70 Seiko watches on ebay. The only ones, I found, that had markings like mine looked fairly new and where Diver watches with either 8F or 7N movements. Did seiko use that marking only on Diver/Scuba watches? Any idea on when it started?

Thanks,
henrylr

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Your serial # begins with a 58, which means your watch is from August 2005. First battery change isn't due till 09, where a Seiko service would punch a little hole next to the #, and then it would be due for a change in 2012 or 2013. Keeps track of servicing and battery changes in short. It started , I believe with the 7548 quartz divers.

Rob

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
There currently is a 7548 on the sales forum . It's a 1985, you can see the punch clearly, although I can't make out which # it is , but it's probably an 88

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I found a very small dot like mark at what would be about the 4th or 5th month of 2009.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is just a guess of the reason for year markings on the back of Diver/Scuba watches. A watch is one of the most important tools for a diver. So maybe Seiko thought it was important for a diver to easily maintain a record of battery changes and know when next change is due. Or maybe that just thought it looked cool.

henrylr

41 - 52 of 52 Posts