The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In an effort to create an homage to the limited production Golgo 13, John Bentley has produced one of the finest watches yet...
By this time, I'm sure we're all familiar with John's trademark tst machined diver's; 6309 cushion cased as well as other standard cased 6309's and 7548's that have been milled, drilled and tapped to accommodate fitting a tuna shroud.
And while his groundbreaking work in machining these otherwise ordinary divers' has allowed so many of us to create tuna mods of our own, the Golgo tst is in a league by itself.
When the original Golgo first hit the streets, it was limited to a production run of just 500 pieces.
Combine that low number of units with a purchase price of close to $2000 USD and most of us will never have an opportunity to own one. Even after being out of production for four years, and NIB examples all but gone, prices are still hovering in the $1500-$1700 USD range.
Enter the Golgo tst. Limited to a production run of only one, but carrying many of the features seen only on the actual Golgo 13...glossy black pvd Golgo shroud, actual Golgo dial with red target lume pods, original tuna handset with Golgo red tipped seconds, Golgo chapter ring and Golgo bezel with red triangle at 12. Standard equipped with a 5 jewel high torque quartz movement such as is found in 7c46 based quartz tunas'.
Superb machine work combined with so many original Golgo parts leaves little to ask for here; the drilled lugs make for easy strap changes and the precision turned "extended" crown with deep grooves make small work when adjusting the time or setting day and date.
When I first saw the watch, my first thought was to have the case, crown and shroud screws coated in black pvd to match the shroud and black bezel, but the contrast of the stainless bits against the Golgo shiny black coating really makes the machine work stand out.
In a word, I wouldn't change a thing. This is truly a fine watch.
After wearing it for a week straight, I have to say that it has taken its place as my new favorite daily driver. With an impressive footprint normally found only on the higher end tunas' yet still light on the wrist and comfortable enough for all day wear. The 5 jewel movement keeps time as well as the best of them; including both the SBBN007 tuna and the SBBN023 {Golgo 13} tuna.
After wearing one of John's tst's, my advice is to get one before they're gone...just not this one; this one's mine!

All credits for this build go to John Bentley... Superb job here John!

All comments welcome.
Mike
Photos shown here of actual Golgo 13 and Golgo tst in side by side comparison

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was tempted by that a while back but I had just picked up my sbbn017 and it seemed a bit excessive, maybe I should have got the card out judging by those pics...very nice pick up

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments!
I just thought it would be nice to show the comparison of the two watches side by side.
And this gives us all a chance to see what can be possible with a tst. I've seen so many nice examples of tst's here on the forum but wanted to write this one up in a true reviewer's perspective.
Mike

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Looks great Mike and nice info thank you. Don't look at tunas all that much but the more I see of them obviously it gets pretty tempting to try them. I'm on the look out for a watch case to send to John as although he clearly does great work from the pictures I imagine it'd be a real treat actually own one.

Thanks again Mike and great work John! Off to golgo the Google now. Looks like I'd need a batmobile to go with it, mind! :)

·
Special Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guy for the comments!
I think I'm starting to believe that getting one of John's tst's is the most fun you can legally have with a watch. So many different options to choose from and you often end up with something quite unique that someone hasn't tried yet. Limitless dial choices, hand choices; vintage and worn looking or current and new; the possibilities are too numerous to count.
This one was all built by John so I had no hand in the build, but I had put together other tst's that John had machined for me and always wanted a Golgo that I could wear every day and this one ticks all the boxes.
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts