The Watch Site banner

Review of Steinhart Ocean 39 Black Ceramic

13K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Brickhead 
#1 · (Edited)

I took delivery of this yesterday. I miss my 40 mm Rolex Submariner, which I lost, believe it or not. Anyway, recently I researched Sub homages, that I can afford, and decided that this Steinhart model was the nicest of the bunch. The fact that it has a Swiss movement made it the obvious choice. Also, it is hard to find a negative review of any of Steinhart’s offerings. So I ordered it on Friday, direct from the company, in Germany, and it arrived yesterday. That, alone, is impressive.
The fit and finish are very good, considering the watch was less than $500.00. As others have mentioned, I would have preferred if the lugs were curved a little more downward, but it is very comfortable on wrist, and looks great, too. It has a screw down caseback, and is 300m water resistant. The caseback has an interesting etched pic of Poseidon riding on a Seahorse chariot, surrounded by waves. Very cool! The crown, which screws down and locks, is signed, with the nicely engraved S with crown above, as is the clasp on the bracelet. Design wise, it is obviously a copy of the Rolex Sub, but that’s O.K. with me. It is why I chose it. The cyclops is a bit weak, perhaps only 1.5 magnification, but the date is easy to read, even for these old eyes. The dial is a very matte black, and can look dark grey in certain lighting conditions. The markers and Steinhart logo are applied. The bracelet is substantial and high quality, with solid end links. Sizing it was easy, since it uses screws, rather than pins. There are 2 half links and 4 micro adjustments on the clasp, to insure you get a good fit. It tapers from 20mm down to 16mm, making it aesthetically very appealing. The clasp is very secure, but is only friction based. A push button type would be preferred. However, at this price point, Steinhart had to cut corners somewhere. The bracelet has a brushed finish, though the sides are polished. The watch is finished in the same manner, brushed on top, polished on the sides. The bezel has white numerals, that are engraved into the ceramic. The bezel is difficult to turn, though I have read it loosens up a bit, over time. I also read you can run it under hot soapy water, while turning it, in order to loosen it up faster. When first released 3 years ago, people complained of too much play in the bezel. Apparently they addressed that issue, but now they are too tight. The lume on the hands and hour markers glows a pretty blue color, but is a little weak, certainly when compared to our Seiko’s. The crystal is a flat sapphire, and has double AR coating, on the inside only. The movement is either an ETA 2824-2, or a Selitta SW 200. Steinhart doesn’t specify which movement you get, though either one will be the Elaboré grade. Both beat at 28,800 BPH. Steinhart does regulate the movement before shipping the watch. Overall, I am quite pleased with my new acquisition. The 39 mm diameter is perfect, for my wrist size, which is 6 1/2 inches. If you are looking for a Submariner homage, I highly recommend this model. Of course, it also comes in a 42mm size. The quality, at the price point, is outstanding. These are highly sought after, and used ones sell for more than new ones on eBay, I think because Steinhart is often out of stock. Gnomon also carries them, but they aren’t always available there, either. Hope you enjoyed my mini review.

Kat

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice honest review Kat, thanks. A good looking watch and strap options might be fun at some point. I could see that on a nice Crafter Blue or similar rubber strap. Assuming is has drilled lugs? Congrats on your new acquisition ....
Thanks. Unfortunately, the lugs are NOT drilled, but I have all the necessary tools for strap changes. I actually ordered the Steinhart Jubilee to dress it up a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
Nice review. I think it would look very nice on a minimal brown leather strap or zulu.
Thank you. God knows I have plenty of straps. With Fall here, I will try some leather. Like you, I prefer brown to black, to break it up a little bit. Having this makes me want to get another Submariner, but prices have gone mad, and you can’t get them, unless you are willing to pay thousands over list price to a grey market dealer.

#13 ·
Great review! Years ago when I was looking for my first Swiss watch it came down to Steinhart or Squale. I wound up going with Squale, but it was honestly a toss up. Enjoy the watch! Also, it sounds like there's a story here.....
I looked at Squale. I didn’t care for the look of the dial, or their logo.
As for my Submariner, I lost it while traveling. I was not careful enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.