The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Review of Seiko SKX007

The SKX007 is a professional, ISO Diver rated to 200M WR. It shares a legacy of design history with previous models of Seiko Divers and has been in production for greater than a decade. In my opinion, this watch is a current icon of Seiko watches.

Dimensions

These dimensions were taken with a set of calipers. They are intended as reference only and may not be absolutely accurate to the tenth of the millimeter.

Crystal Diameter 31.5 mm
Bezel Diameter 40 mm
Case Diameter (no crown, 3-9) 42.5 mm
Case Diameter (with crown) 45.5 mm
Lug to Lug 46 mm
Lug Width 22 mm
Thickness 13 mm

Dial
The dial is utilitarian in design with the intended purpose of maximum readability. The dial is a flat black/charcoal gray in color. There is some beveling in the day/date window. All information is printed directly on the dial. The SKX007J model contains the “21 Jewels” printed on the dial where as the K model does not. No chrome trimming and no gloss to create unwanted reflections or distractions. Index markers are a triangle at 12, ovals at 6, 9 and circles at remaining locations. The only splash of color on the dial is the wording “DIVER’S 200m” in a red/orange above the 6.

The chapter ring has a little more gloss to it with the minute indexes identified with the 5 minute indexes a slightly thicker white than the other lines.

The date/day wheels are black text on a white background. Days are present in 2 different languages with Saturday in a light blue and Sunday in red.

The hands are the traditional Seiko diver hands with the hour hand as sword style with a pointer on the end. The minute hand is arrow shaped also with a pointer on the end. Both are lumed and trimmed in chrome. The second hand is painted white from the center out to the business end. The remaining is black with a lumed circle on the tail. Although many don’t like this lumed portion on the back end of the second hand, I like it that way. It puts the circle in a nice location on the dial so that the circle on the hand does not clash with the circles as index markers on the dial. The white portion provides maximum readability against the flat black dial.

The lume on the dial and hands is quite phenomenal. At maximum intensity, it can cast a glow on the wall and will be readable for many hours through the night.
The crystal is a flat Hardlex mineral glass with no AR coating. Even for mineral glass, it is surprisingly clear…as clear as sapphire in my opinion.

Bezel
The bezel on the SKX007 is a thing of beauty. Again, designed for function rather than form, the insert is a flat black with white numbers and markers. The bezel is knurled completely around providing a great grip, even with wet hands. The bezel has 120 clicks and the action is equal to that of an instrument rather than a piece of jewelry.

Case
The 0020 case has a very pleasing form and design. It is highly polished on both sides with an ever so slight bevel on the top where it joins the bezel. The top of the lugs are brushed. The crown guards incorporate a nice form from the case rather than a couple of pieces sticking out from the side of the case. The top half of the crown guards are angled to provide access to the crown. The crown is unsigned and simple in design with some knurling around the edge and a small bevel near the polished top. The underside of the case is polished and the classic Seiko tsunami is presented as a relief rather than an engraving or etching in the center of the case back.

Movement
The movement is the venerable 7S26. The accuracy rating is something like +/- 25 seconds per day. User performance is better than that with probably an average of about +/- 10-15 seconds per day. This value is completely unscientific and is based on comments in watch forums. The movement is easily regulated to bring closer to a desired daily accuracy. There is much more information out there on the 7S movements, so I will just leave it at this.

Bracelet
The stock jubilee bracelet is my one disappointment with the SKX007. I have not seen the stock President and Oyster so maybe they are better. They seem to be more expensive so maybe this is true. Of the 5 columns of links in the bracelet, the outer 2 are solid metal while the innermost link is just a folded ring of metal. The links are held together by conventional split pins. The center of the bracelet is polished flanked by the brushed outer links. The edge of the bracelet is polished. The end links that connect to the case are hollow. The fit of the stock end link to the lugs is not the best leaving a slight gap. The clasp is also disappointing with a tinny feel. It is a friction fit with a fold over security clasp. There is 5 adjustment holes which does permit for a custom fit. I do have to say that the fit of the Jubilee is extremely comfortable and does not pull my hair. The watch stays snug to my wrist and does not flop around. There are aftermarket bracelets available for this case which have a more solid design and nicer clasp.

Here are some pictures. Please feel free to add your own.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for telling me the model number. I couldn't find one like it on here, and couldn't find it in the book, or on the back of the watch either.

I'm surprised it's the North American model.

Since I bought it in the Philippines, I figured it would be the Japanese model.

·
Registered
15 Posts
mark said:
I'm surprised it's the North American model.

Since I bought it in the Philippines, I figured it would be the Japanese model.

I think what you may have is the SKX399, which is very similar to the SKX173, but not available in north america. The SKX399 has a different second hand than the SKX173, and the 12 o'clock marker is different too.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Now that I look at it more closely, Cobalta is right, what you have is a philipines market SKX399. It differs from the SKX173, in the different second hand, and the dial on yours has metal-framed applied indeces, and a smaller 1200 marker. the 173 has printed indeces (as does the 007), and a more prominent 1200 marker. The models are otherwise identical. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great review and I just got a SKX173 from a good friend and prefer it over the dial/hands of the 007. Nevertheless a great watch with a bulletproof movement.

Stan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Isthmus said:
Now that I look at it more closely, Cobalta is right, what you have is a philipines market SKX399. It differs from the SKX173, in the different second hand, and the dial on yours has metal-framed applied indeces, and a smaller 1200 marker. the 173 has printed indeces (as does the 007), and a more prominent 1200 marker. The models are otherwise identical. Sorry for the confusion.

;) Looks like I got the SKX399 also ( my first Seiko Divers ) ...the back case reads 7626-0020 with serial # 191516 ( can anyone advise me when this watch was made based on the serial # ) , it came with Seiko Z22 rubber strap but I replaced it with a NATO strap to get that MACHO look

[IMG]

[IMG]

:dance:

·
Registered
1 Posts
:)) Hi. I wonder if you can help me. I have a SKX007J Japan "21Jewel" 200m dial with the serial number 68 as the 1st 2 letters. Is this a 2006 August or 1996 August model. The refs also states 7S26 0020 and AO in a box next to the refs.

Any help gladly appreciated.

·
Registered
571 Posts
hummm

I'm missing mine... even if replaced with a skx171. The 007 has really something special, maybe the round markers. Unfotunalety my grail chase avoid me to buy one at time...

regards

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think J is Japan made and K is Singapore or Hong Kong. The only difference is that the dial in the J version has some extra text under the 'diver's 200m' text which says '21 jewels', and also the J version costs more than the K. I myself have the skx007k and comparing it to my friends skx007j is absolutely the same watch (except the dial text mentioned before).
Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice review. I have been thnking of getting the 007 or the black monster. I really am leaning towards the 007 though. Review was very informative and will help make my decision. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow,
Thank you for this comprehensive review and description. I just bought one of these fine watches, with the "Pepsi" bezel, from a member of one the gun forums that I belong to. I have several watches (one of them a Seiko) and have always admired these "Diver" watches. This Forum is a wonderful place for folks like me to learn more about the Seiko line in general and the detailed descriptions of the various iterations. Frankly, I had no idea of all the "sub-species". Thanks to all of you who have left information here for us "Noobs". :great:
Regards,
XAVMECH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thoroughly enjoyed the review! I regret giving mine away when I got my MM. Not that I don't love the MM, but there's something about SKX007... It may be the single greatest bargain in the watch world.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts