L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Author DougFNJ:

Seiko Marine Master 300M SBDX001 MM300 Review
[/url]
[img]

Hello all, I've had this watch on my wrist every day since I received it almost a month ago, so I figured I'd do a review. Youtube review will be done soon as well [img]. I've never had a watch that holds that feeling like I just got it new in the mail every day when I slap it on my wrist. This is such a great watch and so well worth the premium I paid for it.

It comes in a simple wood like black and yellow box and includes the Warranty card, instructions, and a set of flat vent like straps with a unique interesting rugged design....and of course the watch [img].

[img]
[img]
[img]

The Prospex line has been a very high quality well designed release of watches. They are built tough, and the Marine Master 300M is the crowning jewel of the Prospex Lineup, and IMHO one of the most premium quality watches of the Seiko brand.

[img]

This watch is not small, it is 42mm wide, 14mm thick, 210 grams. Part of the reason for the heavy weight is the one piece monocoque case. This design assists in better water resistance as the less openings on a watch, the less chance for water to enter. I prefer a nice heavy stainless steel heft, and this watch certainly fits that bill, I definitely feel it on my wrist. The case curves out below the bezel, and is nicely designed with strategically polished and brushed areas which is nicely done, Seiko put a lot of thought into the detailing. Marine Master's are individually hand built. They start with the simple case and build it from the bottom up capping it with the crystal which is apparently a very difficult process. The Crystal is a high grade Hardlex. I work at a desk, so I don't tend to hit the crystal against anything (knock wood). Hardlex is good and strong, it won't tend to shatter easily....but it can scrath easier than Sapphire. Sapphire is good as it won't scratch as easily....but it can shatter if hit hard enough. I've decided if I somehow scratch mine, I will get the Crystal upgraded by Jackk at IWW.

[img]
[img]

The Unidirectional Bezel is beautiful. It has a high gloss black finish with serrated edges and numbers around the dial for using it as a timer. It rotates very smoothly and the depth adds nice protection for the Hardlex Crystal. The crown is unsigned and screwdown. Unscrew it and the winding is firm, pulling it out the first notch changes the date, second notch sets the time.

[img]

The SS bracelet has been complained about in reviews as I have read. The complaints have been that it feels cheap, and that it is too thin at 20mm. I disagree, it is heavy enough as each link is solid Stainless Steel. it adjusts with the Pin and Collar system, and on these links, the collar fits in the center of the link, not the end like most Seikos I've seen. I prefer this and wonder why Seiko dosen't have ALL their pin and collar bracelets fit like that [img] I feel if they made the width of the bracelet any thicker.....it may had been TOO wide....it is very comfortable the way it is. The clasp is fold over with push button release. It has the ratcheting divers extension that easily adjusts in and out. I definitely like this feature more than the traditional divers extension that have a fold over release. The Endlinks are recessed between the lugs, and they really nice and solid. If you want to switch the bracelet out, Seiko conveniently have holes outside the lugs for easy release.
[img]
[img]

As far as the face, they also did an incredibly detailed job there. The Date wheel is metallic and the date stays perfectly centered. The hands are finely brushed, I particularly like the look of the second hand. I don't find the face to be too wordy, and I like the font used, and the individual markers are applied with SS pieces around the nice bright lume which was also hand applied.
[img]
[img]http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=211484&stc=1&d=1251154690

And finally....the movement. Seiko made a great choice using the Automatic 8L35 movement used in Grand Seiko's. The cream of the crop [img] It's is a very smooth fluid movement with 26 Jewels, 50 hour power reserve, Accuracy is -10 to +15 seconds per day. It handwinds and hacks. Mine has been +4 to 6 seconds per day.

To summarize, I am completely impressed with this watch. I have no complaints whatsoever, this watch was everything I expected and hoped it would be. This has been my daily wearer, and I would say it will be my daily wearer for a long time unles I am involved in physical activity, then I switch around. I hope you enjoyed my little breakdown, there are a lot of really good reviews out there that were VERY helpful in assisting the decision to purchase this watch. I felt for a long time if I were going to spend $1000 plus on a watch, it would be a Tag or a Rolex....having played around with both...Marine Master easily rates with the best of them. [img]
[/center]

1 - 1 of 1 Posts